paypal question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday, probably a stupid question, but I don, t know anything about it.

If Impay someone via paypal, how do they withdraw cash?

They have to pay a fee to pay pay to transfer it to their bank account. It can take a few days for it to get to their account

Its a bloody rip off.

If I sell anything on ebay , I wont accept payapl as payment. Why should I pay ebay for selling the item and then pay paypal (owned by ebay) for the privileged of getting my own money.

How much is the fee? Ill pay the extra, I need to pay a private sale via credit card, as I wont have the cash for 3 weeks.

Actually its receiver of the money pays paypal a free for receiving the money into their paypal account not for withdrawing the money to their bank account.

Currently it it 2.6% = $0.30 per transaction.

Balmain Bob said:
They have to pay a fee to pay pay to transfer it to their bank account. It can take a few days for it to get to their account

Its a bloody rip off.

If I sell anything on ebay , I wont accept payapl as payment. Why should I pay ebay for selling the item and then pay paypal (owned by ebay) for the privileged of getting my own money.

Sounds like a bank, bet we all use one of them :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Its been very useful for me over the past odd 10 years, I even had a phone call, from paypal office, telling me that an attempt had been made to hack my account and was reccomended to change my password. I thought this was such a dodgy call and I interviewed them hard thinking it was some odd scam, but they laughed and explained etc, it certainly was legit and I honestly still can't believe a service which I basically call free and internet driven, would even go to such a distance. You can either directly deposit an amount if money to your pp acount to use for purchases, link to a bank account or direct debit accounts ( which I feel is safer being seperate from my other money ) etc. I havnt had one pp issue to describe

Hey GP

I have been using PP for years and I didn't know that - Thank You

Cheers
Bazz

I use eBay as a buyer but I don't have a PayPal account due to the massive amounts of fraud and chargebacks that go on. Sellers basically have little to no recourse if the buyer is intent on scamming you. When I buy on eBay, I use guest checkout and pay with my credit card because I can at least call my bank and even then, it's only items of small value. If you think PayPal will protect you with security on high value transactions, you're dreaming. The internet is littered with stories and I'm personally out $500 via PayPal due to fraud.

I sold an iphone on ebay a number of years ago, used (described as used, not new) but in perfect condition as I kept it in a case and I look after the things that I own. A few weeks later, I get an email from ebay where the buyer claimed the item was not as described and wanted a refund. I asked that the phone be returned because you don't really have a choice regardless of whether the buyer changed their mind or not, and I received it back with the back smashed - the buyer had clearly dropped it. I counter-claimed and provided evidence from the listing which showed the device was in perfect condition prior to being sent but ebay still found in the buyers favour and automatically withdrew the cash from my paypal and the rest from my bank account, leaving me with the cost of repair to boot.

Waiting to verifying a payment does nothing when the buyer is intent on defrauding you. They can freeze your paypal account, freeze the funds, and if you're naive enough to link your bank account to paypal as I was, they can debit your bank account for whatever amount they wish at anytime if they decide you're the one at fault. If you think they got it wrong, their response is for you to contact the police which ignores the fact they are overworked and not going to put much time into chasing up a broken phone when it is really my word against the buyer's word.

I only buy and sell things for cash on gumtree, despite it being an ebay owned property, they can't claw back the funds and the buyer can't defraud you simply because they damaged the item within the first few weeks.

Shame that some bother to even figure out some of this crap to fraud someone of their cash in anyway. I always mark items as non-refundable..just as if I were having a garage sale. Just gotta be careful and make sure you protect yourself from the trickery the best you can.

It doesn't make sense that ebay didn't resolve this correctly and as its $500, I'd be bringing a lot more debate to the board of decisions, but it is hard to proove the phone wasn't in this condition before it was sent. Postage service could be to blame along the way ( yeah I know..doubt it and I'm certainly not trying to bend stories here ) ..but not every item I've recieved has turned up in one piece due to incorrect handling.

Oh, it gets much worse than that. Not for me personally, but other stories I've read online. Scams where a buyer needs a part, say for their car, so they buy the spare part on ebay, switch it with their broken one, and then file a dispute to get their money back and send back the broken spare part. Ebay finds in the buyer's favour to boot. It really leaves a filthy taste in your mouth once it's happened to you and you know you did nothing wrong.

Now, I'm not saying every buyer/seller is a scammer, but you've just got to be aware that ebay and paypal guarantees are mired with all sorts of got yas. And sure, some sellers do not package their items appropriately and goods often are damaged in the post, no doubt about that, but all those things help the scammer because it's such a grey area as to what really happened. For those reasons, I just don't find it worth the risk when it comes to selling items on ebay or having a paypal account - people can dd or send bitcoin.

cazalla said:
Now, I'm not saying every buyer/seller is a scammer, but you've just got to be aware that ebay and paypal guarantees are mired with all sorts of got yas. And sure, some sellers do not package their items appropriately and goods often are damaged in the post, no doubt about that, but all those things help the scammer because it's such a grey area as to what really happened. For those reasons, I just don't find it worth the risk when it comes to selling items on ebay or having a paypal account - people can dd or send bitcoin.

You might be saying that every buyer is a scammer but seeing your experience I could understand sellers thinking that way!!! :eek:

When I did a little selling on ebay I considered linking my bank account to PP but nah!! not cause I was too smart but cause I was too lazy - thank god.

Cheers
Bazz

Never had an issue with PayPal or ebay.
But I have always documented items with photos serial numbers ect anything that I have sold.
And pack items accordingly..... Most of the time bubble wrap.

I think most bad experiences with eBay and PayPal come from peoples own stupidity or naivety.
Sorry if that offends anyone but there it is.

cazalla said:
I use eBay as a buyer but I don't have a PayPal account due to the massive amounts of fraud and chargebacks that go on. Sellers basically have little to no recourse if the buyer is intent on scamming you. When I buy on eBay, I use guest checkout and pay with my credit card because I can at least call my bank and even then, it's only items of small value. If you think PayPal will protect you with security on high value transactions, you're dreaming. The internet is littered with stories and I'm personally out $500 via PayPal due to fraud.

Have been buying and selling on ebay for over 10 years now using PP and have never had an issue.

The internet is littered with horror stories yes, but it is also littered with brain-dead fools who know little about how the game works!

Remember you are responsible for protecting yourself onlilne and just because PP offer secure transactions, this doesn't mean you should be clicking the mouse with your little head instead of your big head.

Sorry, but if your out of pocket because of a fraudulent transaction, its probably your fault.
Most would never be willing to admit that.

Cheers

I've been using ebay for many years, ever since it started actually and have never been scammed but it's probably just luck more than anything, anyone no matter how savvy they think they are can be scammed through there if they pick the wrong seller or the wrong buyer comes along.

A USA music production forum I am on had an issue with a scammer, about 10 members collectively lost about 70 grand if I remember correctly, some woman was doing a supposed studio closing down sale and was selling some very sought after and very expensive audio gear, some of this type of gear makes a GPZ seem like chicken feed. Anyway the scam involved taking payment via direct deposit or paypal and sending an empty box with a "sucked in" card enclosed within the box. As there were records of a package being sent with tracking numbers there was little anyone could do until quite a few people reported her. Seeing she had scammed people across state borders it became a federal offence and ended up catching the attention of the feds.

No one ever saw their money again but the lady scammer ended up getting about 10 years in a federal prison for her handy work. It was quite an elaborate scam and involve serial numbers, tracking numbers, it worked very fast and only lasted a couple of days before word got out, quite a lot of money was involved.

Latest posts