Park detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a proper digger but the price they want for one is putting me off..

Just bought a sand scoop for the holidays.digger will have to wait.

Mixo

I bought the plastic bunnings version for 2 bucks, but i'm not sure it will go thru couch and solid ground.Will give it a go and see when the rain lets up here in Melbourne.

I like those steel diggers but i'm not sure to get one of these or those steel shovels.

mixo

P.s found the trowel, its a saxon hand trowel https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-hand-trowel_p3361197

Trash said:
mixo said:
I need a proper digger but the price they want for one is putting me off..

Just bought a sand scoop for the holidays.digger will have to wait.

Mixo

Hey Mixo ,

Some of these at Bunnings might be ok as a possible digging tool to practise with

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/garden-tools/digging-tools/small-hand-tools

I will have a look at some of these on the weekend , the Cyclone stainless steel bulb trowel looks ok
The fiskars aluminum trowel $8.50 is good just dont put to much preasure on it....It was my first ever. :)

mixo said:
I bought the plastic bunnings version for 2 bucks, but i'm not sure it will go thru couch and solid ground.Will give it a go and see when the rain lets up here in Melbourne.

I like those steel diggers but i'm not sure to get one of these or those steel shovels.

mixo

P.s found the trowel, its a saxon hand trowel https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-hand-trowel_p3361197

Yeah the hardened plastic ones unfortunately wont cut it in a park

They use to have a little trowel called true temper with a red handle , it was quite good for the price , but Bunnings stopped stocking them a few years ago :/

yes i thought as much, i will give it a try and if she doesnt cut it then goes to beach duties or the back garden.

I do like those garret ones but i keep reading the handle break. But at 80 bucks each bit pricey. might start a new thread on what are people favorite.

mixo

mixo said:
yes i thought as much, i will give it a try and if she doesnt cut it then goes to beach duties or the back garden.

I do like those garret ones but i keep reading the handle break. But at 80 bucks each bit pricey. might start a new thread on what are people favorite.

mixo
These are really good and Aussie made.Brand is .tyger digger..Theres a few different types ...I think this is called the snake...Quite a few on here have them..
Will last a lifetime $75...
1544859595_img_20181215_224.jpg

i think the are the tyger and 50 bucks + 10 for shipping..

Well if they are highly recommended and they are at a good price and aussie made, bonus...

mixo

mixo said:
i think the are the tyger and 50 bucks + 10 for shipping..

Well if they are highly recommended and they are at a good price and aussie made, bonus...

mixo
You can get the tyger cub for$50
This one is the tyger snake...its about 4 inches longer I payed $75. :)
Worth every cent. :)

I made one the other day. Bit of 3mm plate, a bit of angle iron and a bit of pipe. Cost...all scrap only cost is electricity and welding materials. Not up to pictures yet. Works a treat. Looks the pits. lol

Gday mixo, if i can pitch my 10c worth....
Buy a decent , purpose made digging tool.
Good quality will last. You will get your moneys worth out of it.
And you wont leave the ground scarred (any more than it need be) when you dig out a 20c coin or pull tab
It doesnt matter what job you do.... the right tool for the job will always give the best result.

By the way....
The same will apply to a pinpointer (a must have)
I anticipate that will be one of your next topics ;)

Dont worry mate ... we have all been down this exact same path :p

Ramjet said:
If you are chasing older coins... pre decimals, Ignore the high noise, shallow signals. Older treasures will be deeper and not BOOMING signals. Not always true but a good guide. Remember that no matter what our experience level... we all dig trash. I am more the dig everything type. I wouldn't want to miss a good find because it sounded too good to be true. Such is life.

found a florin under an inch in the ground

It takes many hours to master any detector. Even if you have much experience with one machine and switch o another, you are starting from scratch.

yep sure does, you walk over lots while you learn what the machine is telling you, but that has a good side ! ....you can find them later :cool:

I cheap pin pointer from ebay for begin with. Yes i know i probably pay twice but hey thats what happens when you are a poor bastard..

But I don't want to skimp on a digger( i have done it with gardening and it sucks) but still tossing up to buy the blade or get the shovel version.

Anyway be at the beach from the 26th so I wont be doing to many parks, so might pick something up in the new year.

Still keen to know people experiences with diggers and what works and what doesn't.

mixo

Latest posts