panning help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
as all most all the creeks are dry I take a few 20kg buckets and fill them up and pan at home. only issue is that after 360kg worth of material and 9 road trips in locations where gold is very present I have not had any luck not even flakes what am I doing wrong??...
I sample on inside bends and after the bend rocks still nothing...

things I need help with..

can you visually see black sand before you pan.. then do you get a sample once you get black sand???

do you take a few inches off the top surface then dig as deep as you can go??? or do you just start at the top and get a shovel depth??

any help would be great...

Hey Ben, start by test panning while there, once you find a few specks/flakes then start bucketing that material mate.
Cheers Nick.

Ben,

I'm not sure where you are located, but the best option would be to get together with a more experienced prospector and spend a day or two with them. There is a Tuena trip planned in May, and those get togethers are a great way to get some tips.

Regards

Doc

Hi Ben,

Welcome to PA.
As a newbie to fossicking myself I have found youtube to be helpful along with PA.
Type into google "WalnLiz you tube".
Wal is a PA member and has over 50 very informative, interesting clips on youtube. Explaining where and how about prospecting gold and gems.

Also search for " Adventure gold " in you tube. These clips are also very informative and explains a lot about flows and river systems.

So far I have learned most of what I know to date from their clips and regard these Guys and Liz of course, very high. They know their stuff ! :)
Hope this helps!

Cheers

I don't see why not, my local gem club and outings are generally women, I know a few prospecting outgoing lone ones as well. Sometimes my children and partner come along to digs, just as some others here take their s too to meets :)

Ben look up dry panning that way you have an idea of whether the material is any good before digging. There are limits as to how much you can remove so check out your state laws on that. You'd probably be best to dry pan on location and bring home the concentrate.
Jon

gypsywomen said:
Hi Guys just wondering if there any woman in the group that attend the meet ups.

cheers.

If not members, spouses and kids do attend but this may not be typical of all meets.
Jon

Another option Ben is to take a fish tub out with you so you pan on site That way you will know what wash to bring home . You can also sieve your wash down so you can take more home instead of half a bucket of bulky wash.
Also are you 100% sure it is a gold bearing creek/river ?

wow thanks for the quick info guys..
ill look at youtube a bit more..

I live 15min away from blackwood so im 99% sure there gold in the creeks..

gypsywomen said:
Hi Guys just wondering if there any woman in the group that attend the meet ups.

cheers.

Hi Gypsy,

There are generally a few women prospectors and a number of partners and sundry kids at the meet ups. They are friendly and non threatening events.

Check out the threads for those that you are interested in, and put up an inquiry there to see who is coming.

I just had a quick look at the Tuena thread, and Chellbells may be there, you could PM her to see if it is confirmed. Nucopia and his partner are also going.

Regards

Doc

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11496&p=1
Have a read through this thread Ben , some good info mainly on detecting but it will also give you some clues on the best possible creeks to hold some colour. Close to the source the gold will tend to be heavier so look for deep pockets or bedrock containing crevices. Further away its likely to be finer flood gold more concentrated in the top gravel layers.

Gaz.

Oh and dont dismiss searching the gullies leading to the creeks.. plenty of panable gold still trapped and waiting to be washed down . So as i said if have have a big tub of water u can test from all different spots.

ben2363 I'm doing something like you at the moment but my approach is a little different. First up I've been working the same section of creek 'X' now for the past 2 years so I know it's rich in gold and I know the type of gold and where it's coming from. In this case private property. I classify the wash with a steel mesh sieve first (1/4" mesh) to remove the larger pebbles and rocks. Use a bucket in which your sieve sits snugly inside the lip. The concentrate you get will pack down nicely. Then at home I use a DIY clean up sluice made of PVC pipe, non slip mat etc to concentrate the was further. I pan this to black sand and dry it. I classify the material further and run it through a blue bowl. Check out the pics for an idea of the process. The blue bowl shows the result from one bucket from flakes to fly poo in size.
1461310308_concentrate_sluice.jpg

1461310331_concentrate_gear.jpg

1461310353_concentrate_bowl.jpg

Latest posts