painting to help save threatened animals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter has painted this for a raffle for threatened animals at pioneer dairy Tuggerah on the central coast

1442263385_eagle.jpg

Great detail, your daughter certainly knows how to swing a brush and wonderful cause

May I ask, what causes a wedgetail to be under threat? Logging?

Civilisation impacts on animal life hugely. There was once I time when I was very young, I would draw koalas and echidnas which romaed through my small property and lived in the trees upon my road. A couple of wedgetails were commonly circling above each day hunting mice aling with the odd lyrebird. All of this is never seen anymore, all what's left are rare species of insects, bugs, bird and frog living in my garden. I havnt seen a koala wild here in many many years.

Its not until I get out bush several kilometrrs away I start seeing deer, komodo dragons, lizards, lyrebird, echidna..koala..etc..

I know not too far away a few wedgetails are surviving around farms

AtomRat said:
Great detail, your daughter certainly knows how to swing a brush and wonderful cause

May I ask, what causes a wedgetail to be under threat? Logging?

Civilisation impacts on animal life hugely. There was once I time when I was very young, I would draw koalas and echidnas which romaed through my small property and lived in the trees upon my road. A couple of wedgetails were commonly circling above each day hunting mice aling with the odd lyrebird. All of this is never seen anymore, all what's left are rare species of insects, bugs, bird and frog living in my garden. I havnt seen a koala wild here in many many years.

Its not until I get out bush several kilometrrs away I start seeing deer, komodo dragons, lizards, lyrebird, echidna..koala..etc..

I know not too far away a few wedgetails are surviving around farms

Deer are not a threatened species, there are huge numbers in Australia, although the Hog Deer in Australia is not as common, they are not a native to Australia either, & we don't have komodo dragons here.

Wedge Tails were in decline a while back because a lot were shot by farmers to protect livestock, since being protected they are slowly growing in numbers, some area's do have a reasonably healthy population. We used to see them all the time up around the north west of Victoria (Mildura, Robinvale).

Normeves, great looking image, your daughter has a lot of skill.

As I stated in another recent post,
Just raw sheer talent there.
Well Done and a Good Cause as well. :)
We have a few wedgies around the Valley plus a couple of Sea Eagles around up at Mogareeka. :D

I'm sending in one more order, make sure of enough supplies. So far have a stack of sketch pads size 17" x 14" and 18" x 24", assortment of charcoal pencils, 2 brands of art ink for dip pens, only #2 graphite pencils, cans of spray fixative. With the last order will have a huge pack of assorted studio graphite pencils. The dip pens are being carved from tree branches, don't like the metal tip dip pens. Not only wood pens having a point, but the sharp edges will be useful like a palette knife.

This is going to be easy because no messy paint. I have painting supplies, had to put them away for a long time, seems I'm too messy with them in the house. Right now doing a lot of planning. Started getting the wood pens going on video and want to later make some videos on it.

The idea came from a sketch, real simple pencil, ballpoint pen, black felt marker, made last summer. Scanned this small quick sketch, in my computer converted the image to grayscale. It was for another forum, I'll post to show you how simple can turn out good. The sketch was of a 1967 era replica of the Jewish Urim and Thummin. Being small, have figured out what to use on a large scale art work of other subjects. Used for the sketch below of the UT.....fine point black Bic ballpoint, #2 graphite pencil, blue normal width ballpoint, black smallpoint marker.
1442710303_utsketchsml.jpg

It is backwards here, photo was that way, ancient Hebrew alphabet characters for first and last letter. Since they read from right to left, should really be flipped around.

1442710525_utsketchsmlcrop2.jpg

It was cropped for the 2 ends (same sketch). That fine white line on the alphabet character below was added using my image software, only thing added. Think now it would have looked better without the line, doesn't appear natural.

1442710626_utsketchsmlcrop1.jpg

The last stone (above) is dark colored in the original replica photo.

1442710714_utsketchcrop2b.jpg

Mixing charcoal pencils, studio graphite pencils, and black ink turned out to be a good idea. Started a 14" x 17" headshot portrait to test out my theory. So far, it's working much better than ever expected. Taking my time making video clips for later on YouTube. I'd figured if a portrait can be done right, then wildlife art should look nice also. Next will be to shift over to color mix media.

great the painting was won by a young girl at the draw and over 300 was raised thanks it was a good day i tryed to win but didnt

I like eagles, but for now I'm staying on portraits.

Nice painting there a person won....great to see such an effort put forth to save the endangered birds.

Latest posts