Ophir gold, near Orange NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ET Digger

Andrew
Reaction score
Heading out to Ophir for a little bit of panning tomorrow, 22nd, has anyone been out that way?
Any stories to pass on?

Only going out for the day with pan and shovel, will anyone else be about??

I have, although I do it on the Lower Lewis Ponds Creek on private property. You'll find my videos in the Youtube section of this site. Just look for Ditherer and Son.

For what it's worth, there is still gold to be found there!

No good, ended up going to Sofala...
Didn't find a thing! :eek:

Made Shoalhaven flour gold look big :)

Was just wondering if anyone here on the forums detects at Ophir at all. I don't see to much talk about this place considering its heritage, me and a mate are going to hit it tomorrow with our 5000's.

Good luck mate,

Having an explore around the place is the best way to learn about the area..... If you have an idea of where to go will be your best way.
Happy prospecting...... :)

I've had a couple of goes there and only found bullets, plus a big lead sinker right in the middle of the bush. I'm sure there is Gold there, as usual I may have hit the wrong spot.

The Fathers Day nugget was found there in the 1980's and was around 200oz.

Good luck Stevo, hope you can get some.

I went and had a quick swing their yesterday
For only one .
But I was only their for 3 hrs
It's there but bloody hard to find lol

Ps the small bit was from another location
As I was training a bloke
On his gold bug dp lol

I'm not a fan of gold bugs
Except the gold bug 1 and 2
But that's what the bloke had
So I had to train him on it !
The ground isn't too hot were we were
With it :)

I was detecting with a mate we both had 5000's and have to say we lucked out on Monday didn't find anything other than bullet casings and some other rubbish. While we were detecting down along the creek I heard someone else down the creek from us screeching away with their detector but couldn't see them, about 20 minutes later I hear this bloody loud YAHOO!! and I said to my mate on the uhf who was further up the creek from me who ever that is down there they must have found there first nugget or found a big one. Anyway we meet up with the fella later on after we packed up and he didn't do to bad at all for a days pay...a nice 16 gram nugget and a 7 grammer as well. and the YAHOO was when he found the 16 grammer. Heading back out there next week for another go..its my turn god dam it. :)

He often takes his finds to a different location
To yahoo
Lol
Puts everyone off his scent lo

Latest posts