On this day - 19 October 1872 - what was found ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally69

Paul
Reaction score
On this day a German born miner found something that everyone on this forum would love to show off to their friends.

Who, what and where was it ?

Holtermann , gold lots of gold (15000 ish oz matrix? ) , and hill end im pretty sure .. and i only know this cos i read the story about a month ago ..

5ftfossicker said:
Holtermann , gold lots of gold (15000 ish oz matrix? ) , and hill end im pretty sure .. and i only know this cos i read the story about a month ago ..

:8 :8 errmm, it was 5000 Oz's of gold.. (and further~wrongly~ quoted as 57 kg), but your number closely resembles the 155,500 (gms) when converted down. ;) :p

The entire matrix weighed on the surface @ 286kg (630 lbs), was 1.5mtr (59") long/tall/high....

An even LARGER bit was found the same week by the same company, yet it was broken down on the surface before any pics were taken (the story goes...).

Cheers

Heres some more trivia:
- it was estimated @ 3000 ounces. It was crushed with 272 tonnes of other ore from the mine for a total yield of 15,488 ounces & 11dwt's of gold.
- Holtermann didn't find it. It was unearthed after underground blasting by his workers. As the mine manager at the time he was photographed with it. Truth be known it is thought that a former partner (Hammond) in the mine, who despite protests from the other mine owners including Holtermann, sealed the old shaft & started a new one in a different direction striking rich vein gold. He sold his share in the mine before the "Beyers & Holtermann" specimen find.
- a larger piece was later found (recorded in the mines day book) but was broken up before being removed to the surface. It was estimated at 5,000 ounces & was displayed for a short time before being crushed. It wasn't photographed as Beaufoy Merlin was elsewhere at the time.
- History Hill purchased from Holtermann's great grandson, Harry Holtermann, much of Holtermann's personal artifacts. Day books from the mine, collectibles and most important a treasured souvenir. Holtermann chipped the tip off the World's Largest piece of gold. All that remains is now in The Holtermann Room, History Hill museum @ Hill End.

:D ...funny how the info. from different sources reveal the differences in the reporting of the day....our info. seems at odds with themselves.

:/ 8)

Gypsy

Oh i agree, as i meant to note in that post with a touch of sarcasm was mine was from a "public" editable site....and also highlight that what the newspaper wrote, isn't always what the real case is/was. The basic tenents of the info. is there, just jumbled to make it confusing, and i agree, the "company" records would be the more trustworthy (if from a 'reputable' company & not a FBN scam) as a source of info. ;)

Gypsy

Got to get me one of them one day :p :p :p

1445215373_image.jpg

I have spent hours looking at that collection, the clarity of detail captured is truely amazing.

If anyone wants to know why they find so many boot tacks, or wants to solve other mysteries, it is a great place to look.

1445228343_image.jpg

SCROUNGER said:
Try detecting in a pair of those boots :lol:

Sounds like a lead-in to an "Otto Shafts" ad......lol

Don't forget the shetland pony horse shoe heels when working on hard rock mines. :D

Cheers

Latest posts