Old Patches That Just Keep Giving

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out to on Sunday morning to an old patch in Amherst. This patch was found by accident by my father 20 odd years ago he fell over a branch as he was trying to step over it. Being close by as he was in his late years and recovering from Bowel cancer at the time I was told by my mum to keep a watchful on eye him. I rush over and help him up being very concern about his well being, all he was interested in was the signal that he heard before going A up into the vegetation.
I stood back and watched as he dug up a very good nugget of 10.5 grams, we then decided to grid and rake the area and managed to get over 2 ounces from that area.
Over many years we would always go back to the area with every new detector that we brought it saw the 15000, 16000, 17000 2000, 2200 3000, 3500, 4500,
and the 5000. We would often just go there and dig up a bucket of soil just so that he could pan it off at home. Each time a little bit more of the that yellow stuff came to light. It was hard ground to detect that red clay with ironstone through it and the odd bit of charcoal that would make the detectors scream.
So after buying the zed 7000, what the hell give it a go on the old patch. Dad's long passed away so I don't think that he'd mind. Tried the 7000 for a while and found some shot gun pellets but no gold.

1441004061_optimized-dsc05928.jpg

After that thought give the old 5000 a go that machine just loves to work well and came up trumps with the gold. It may have been small but it's still gold.

1441004095_optimized-dsc05930.jpg

OK so it so small that it doesn't even register on the scale but it does prove that the 5000 is still a great machine. Reckon the old mate would have approved of the effort.
cheers db. :) :) :) :)

Nice story deepblue. It's nice to think about our oldies that have past away. I reckon he might have been having a chuckle watching down on you digging shot on his patch mate :p

I suppose though,...if your still finding shot on your Dads old patch, that's gotta be a real good thing to have happening :p ,...maybe it was never gridded properly way back when :eek: ,.... and now with all this new gadgetry and propper gridding you may come up trumps again on some big deep stuff ! :)

It's a great spot but as all good detectorist know red clay is the curse of most detectors using mono coils that with ironstone and charcoal will test even the best. I guess the easier target are found quickly, over many years we did manage to find 4.5 ounces on that patch using 27" DD coil, 21" ufo ,18"dd and now with 6" mono I have gone the full cycle back to the old 15000 with it's tiny coil, only I use a 5000. I would have to say now that I have gotten older I just go much slower and that helps to find the smaller pieces. You can rake and grid till the sun sets but sometimes lucks just not on your side.
I can remember a long time ago I meet a very experienced detectorist who would do an area the size of a normal bedroom in a day he would find twice as much as the others who walked kilometres in a day.

I like red clay now ( sdc loves it) yet I'm guilty of the walk a mile to find f all.but always looking for the next patch.If only I got into it about 20 years ago as my aunties dad found plenty Around Bendigo, didn't think it was that special then but hey I got older, not wiser

Latest posts