old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a mine I'd been unable to locate until today. Turned out to be full of bugs. This has been a big problem this year. Hopefully, with the onset of cooler weather the problem will cease.

This was my West Gippsland adventure last week. The country that the adit is cut through is not rock but soft chalky / clayey material. I think (?) it's what the old timers called "pug" - could be wrong on this though. Found 2 narrow reefs interesecting the adit about 300 feet in but no visible gold. The main reef did originaly outcrop on the surface and values were reported as 10oz / ton :eek: The reef was lost at a fault slide and this adit was an attempt to relocate the reef.

casper

1426250178_screen_shot_2015-03-13_at_11.29.23_pm.png

adit
1426250207_screen_shot_2015-03-13_at_11.32.47_pm.png

mullock dump
1426250234_screen_shot_2015-03-13_at_11.30.33_pm.png

inside the entrance
1426250257_screen_shot_2015-03-13_at_11.31.56_pm.png

100 paces in looking back to the entrance
1426250281_screen_shot_2015-03-13_at_11.33.47_pm.png

150 paces in reef in adit wall

Hi Casper, Thanks for sharing. That mine is worth a visit.

MJB said:
Did you sample that reef Casper? great pics

nah.... i collected a few quartz chips hoping to snag a speci but no joy. I will go back though to further explore although it seems that the attempt to relocate the reef was either not successful or not ecconomical and the mine was soon abandoned because the old mine inspectors reports end abruptly after only 3 years.

I've been aware of this mine since is was 16 years old and now only days from my 61st birthday i have managed to find and see inside it - absolutely fascinating

casper

1426292959_report2.png

We found this shaft yesterday that extends upwards from a drive. One side of the shaft seems to be backfilled. What is going on? This extract from https://www.minewiki.org may explain:

"Shrinkage stoping is a mining method used for steeply dipping, narrower ore bodies with self supporting walls and ore. It is an overhand mining method that relies on broken ore being left in the stope to be used as the working floor and to support the walls. During the mining cycle, only 30 35% of the ore blasted is extracted being equivalent to the swell factor of in-situ ore to broken. When mining is complete to the next upper horizon, the ore is extracted. Although it is not necessary to fill the resulting voids, they are commonly filled with waste rock from development. Level intervals seldom exceed 40 meters due to uneven muck draw. Recoverable pillars are left at each level. Shrinkage stopes do not necessarily have to be backfilled unless the pillars will remain or there are stability issues that require backfill. When the stopes are remote from waste passes, they are sometimes used to store development waste."

Hi Dean65 & Hunting The Yellow, I'm hoping you fellas may let me join you guys for an adventure one time? I'm new to this forum as in I just registered but have been following the post for a few days. I'm a keen prospector still new in the ropes but am always enthusiastic and not afraid of a little hard work, Ps love the pictures guys

If you are planning to explore old mines it is best to do so accompanied by people that have previous experience and know what they are doing. You need to be aware of all the dangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts