old gold detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

terry
Reaction score
hi guys was thinking about a second hand detector the one I found is a garret ads deepseeker x are they worth buying for a bit fun looking for gold were they any good in there day. terry

I had the A2B for a while, it was okay, sold to to a guy up north (WA) as his need was greater than mine.

Is that the one on Flea Bay. ??
Not to insult the seller but that price is a little, expensive.
I have one in the shed in working condition.

Hi Terry I have used a deep seekers ,a2b,a1,gt1600, ft1600 whites geb5000,dingo, but I think if I was looking for a cheap VLF detector I would look for a gt 1600 or a 1700 M/L they were blue plus multi frequency these detectors still can find gold ,I have heard good reports on the gold bug but I have not used one :) regards john
ps with the deep seeker being manual ground balance you are always on the knob adjusting the g/b. I did find some nice gold with the deep seeker .

GT1600 wins hands down.
I own one and it is a great beach machine.
Will speck a 20c peice about a foot down quite easy.

For the money, I'd seriously look at a second hand unit from the US. Older VLF gold detectors always sell for a premium here, with the xt17000 often selling between $350-400 if not more, and limited or no access to spare parts. Some of the good second hand detectors that can be sourced cheaply from the US include the Whites GMT, Whites Goldmaster VSat/GM2/GM3/4b, Tesoro Lobo Supertrac, older Tesoro Lobo, Tesoro Diablo, older Fisher manual GB Gold Bug, and even the more modern screen version of the goldbug and Teknetics G2 (Goldbug Pro) all go for between $300-500.

The Goldbug 2 and Garrett ATGold still manages to fetch over the $500 mark.

Once in a blue moon you see the Minelab xt18000 and Gold Striker up for sale, and like the xt17000, these still command decent money, especially the xt18000.

I saved nearly $700 buying a second hand GMT from abroad. You would be better off with something more modern for ease of operation and for reliability. A lot of the real older gold detectors still seem to command good prices, but I suspect this is more due to being valued as a collectable than ability in todays environment. :)

Goldpick is right on with what he has said.

I have been doing this for years. The money you save you won't lose when it comes down to reselling.

But each to their own. I picked up a Sea Hunter for $390 US, Whites GMT for $450 US and Teknetics G2 brand new inc delivery
for $880AUS inc delivery with $180 worth of freebies. Won't say what I paid for the ex demo v3i with warranty registered with whites USA
but that was another huge bargain..

I also have a forum where I can buy off a bunch of guys from the US if need be. Missed out on a near new DEUS for $1400.

By doing this I get to test a variety of machines and quickly off load what don't work for me rather taking on advice
generally not backed by a review but a like for the manufacturer.

I also picked up a Tesoro compadre for $150 US.

The time of a cheap buy though could be in the processing of changing as the prices could start increasing as the season changes.

One other thing if a supplier won't ship I get that shipped to my US postal address which is provided by shipito.
Once that arrives there I get it shipped here its that simple.

Hope this helps.

thanks boys for all the comments and info I know jack about detectors I don't want to buy a toy but the first one don't want pay heaps. tathradj it was on flea bay how much is the one in shed maybe, gt 1600 what brand is that if that's not a silly question was looking for something to play with on the creek when not using the walbanker maybe checking the tailings and a poke around, the beach with the grand kids mite make a prospector out of 1 of them do I do some searching flea bay USA and by the sounds of it VLF is the go thanks I appreciate the help I have more an idea what to look for

It is an old ads Deep Seeker.
Circa aprox 1984.
The GT1600 I have I bought it Modded of Barry Johnson in Wedderburne. He is now retired but heck he did a brilliant job on it. Done the tone mod plus made it a lot more stable. It has never let me down. Poor thing is a bit knocked around now but I am thinking of resurrecting it with a mast clamp (Easily Broken) and a new set of battery clips.
If you just want to ping around and have some fun with a bit of luck on your side you would be better going for what the guy's are saying.
At least look at something like a XT18000 and upwards.
At least you will have a chance of finding some yellow. Bit of fun on the beach as well. You just go and clean up after all the others have been along. LOL
Watch out for syringes.
Above All, Have a lot of fun.
We Do. ;)

hey just wondering what mods can be done to an old gt16000?

Tathradj said:
It is an old ads Deep Seeker.
Circa aprox 1984.
The GT1600 I have I bought it Modded of Barry Johnson in Wedderburne. He is now retired but heck he did a brilliant job on it. Done the tone mod plus made it a lot more stable. It has never let me down. Poor thing is a bit knocked around now but I am thinking of resurrecting it with a mast clamp (Easily Broken) and a new set of battery clips.
If you just want to ping around and have some fun with a bit of luck on your side you would be better going for what the guy's are saying.
At least look at something like a XT18000 and upwards.
At least you will have a chance of finding some yellow. Bit of fun on the beach as well. You just go and clean up after all the others have been along. LOL
Watch out for syringes.
Above All, Have a lot of fun.
We Do. ;)

Better stability,
Adjustable Tone control,
Slightly higher frequency,s
Battery mod, (I did not go for this)
Just to name a few.
Much, Much better on those hot rocks. :) :)
I would ask a few of the reputable detector techs what can still be done.

Latest posts