Old army site

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been researching and old army site and found nothing so went to a local park where i found a militia badge and came up with these 2
1402398703_sam_0243.jpg

1402398733_sam_0245.jpg

the duck said:
Been researching and old army site and found nothing so went to a local park where i found a militia badge and came up with these 2
Did that "army" site once have a jetty and handle things that went, in Marty the Martains words ... KABOOM!
Verhy nice, interesting finds.
Cheers Tom

No problem, don't detect there just go for walk at lunch from Maidstone street, one day right through the park another day left towards past the pier.
Cheers Tom

They are really cool looking coins, don't wanna sound like a dumb a#*e but what are they?? Could ask Mr Google but can't be bothered.

The one penny is from the victorian artillery canteen from the militia days so may have bought a meal and the other is from the two shillings is from the victorian army and navy club and its the same, they are called checks sought of like internal money

It saved them from paying real money as most were volunteers

Thanks. You're very lucky to make such a great find. Very cool!! Great bit of history as well. Love this hobby.

Thanks for posting as I didn't know they were around during that time. Have since seen the English versions and they go back a ways. You know me always thrilled when I learn something more re military history. Bet they would be highly collectable as I've never seen one dug before.

Jarhead

Well im on the lookout now as i know there is a, 1 and half penny, and a 3d but have only seen photos, will post up a bit of an article about it tomorrow just got a new book tonight and it has several victorian buttons in it and buckles that i have never seen before

Latest posts