Oallen Ford NSW Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
banksy said:
BBQ and beer wal, the kids had a ball and the spot that you pointed out backcreek worked a treat, a heap of fine gold will clean it up tomorrow, should have stayed for mate. Wal are you still making/taking orders for your HB.

Steve

Not at the moment Steve, but send me a PM, ;)

Mudguts said:
I love that river
There is some really big bass in there
Was watching my suction hose with cactus when a large bass mooches pasted by us
Not a lure in sight lol

Only ever seen huge "European Rubber Lip Bass" :D there mate....and eels....Have you by chance caught an Ozzy Bass there before...??? :eek:

Cheers Wal.

Haven't cast a line there yet Wal
It may well have been a carp but it was very grey in colour
Will have to see next time I will take some of my soft plastics with me :cool:

Best tip i can give you Daniel is take a pair of goggles and snorkel, go downstream of the Forde away from all the campers and crevice the many "In Stream" bedrock bars, take plenty of Sun block .....Ohhh... and be good to your mother :D ....lol

Good luck out there mate,

Cheers Wal.

Danielkrupski said:
Hi looking to head out to oallen for the very first time tomorrow. any tips guys.

G day Daniel

Try right next to the forde, downstream from it, if your going by pan, take the gravels from with t he water, get your feet wet. The forde itself disrupts the bed load sufficiently to get good size flakes, further downstream the ore gets smaller and lighter. If your fairly mobile walk upstream from the forde, about 400m, the river turns west heavily, try the gravels in the north east blind.

Either one won t make rich, but will give colour.

Mate no goggles no snorkel and haven't spoken to me mum in years. Was gonna take the highbanker down there for the quick and easy unload or are all the spots hike in

The quick and easy unload on the gravel near the access tracks will always get you a bit of colour. If it's a day out for a bit of fun and some social mingling, close to the Forde is fantastic. A good day may net you 1/2 gram. Walking boots are required if you want to recoup your petrol money.

Have a great day out there mate,

Cheers Wal.

I don t know about that wal, Barry the guy from wa, not a prospector, with a dog bowl got more then that in 1 hour, in actual fact I gave him a sniffer bottle to help him along his way. If I was going for fun or being serious with a pan, that's where I d head.

In actual fact he had more in a dog bowl for hour then most get in a day.

Impressed me so much that next time, the dog can drink from the toluet at home, cause I am seriously thinking about pinching his bowl.

Must be pretty good if he's not a prospector and can get a gram with a dog bowl :eek: ......Might have to consider getting rid of my high banker :D Only going from my own past experience, but I've only been there some 500 times and each time without the advantage of a dog bowl.

Digging right next to the forde anywhere near the concrete causeway will be frowned upon by the rangers, as mother nature does enough damage herself there without highbankers eroding the crossing edges. ;)

Cheers Wal.

We've only been twice both times we dug just upstream right near the campers and got reasonable colour both trips ;)

Cheers

C&L

Well spent just recently two weeks crossing that sucker every day, and pretty much 1 out of 2, there were prospectors there, getting some gold, and even a few garnets. was good catch, weight well, anyones guess, but surface area and thickness was pretty good.

Jesus wal, I been in and out there over the past 41 years, what was not there yesterday, doesn't mean that it won't be there tomorrow. Hence why I asked the question on what the current results being achieved were. As far as using high bankers there goes, yeah I witnessed most of them with them over the two weeks, even empty coronas on the concrete.

My recommendation was clearly to pan the river gravels, " get your feet wet". Don't take what I said as condoning high banking next to the road, it wasn't inferred.

Personally I think that Oallen has played more then waltzing Matilda. I think that given the gold that appears there now, is just leaching from the alluvial layer which lies beneath the tertiary basalt layer in the area, and none has defined a socially or economically sound method of recovery from it's known depths, even if it is estimated to be at 160gm Au/per ton. That further up like Stewarts crossing and some of the blinds up stream would be a far better prospect. But giving directions is even harder to get to what may be, a few maybe areas in that shire.

Agree with you there mate on the Crossing having played more than Waltzing Matilda, but it's still a great spot for beginning the apprenticeship so to speak. The river further from the crossing still produces good colour. The last vid we shot was on this river. We netted over 10 grams for that day....and it certainly wasn't our best day on the Shoalhaven.

Anybody that gets a gram or two at the crossing is doing really well. Love to hear a report from any regulars to the Crossing who average better than 2 grams a day from it these days (Weighed on scales). Witnessed plenty of guys who said they had a gram of flour gold, as it looks a lot in the pan.....but then they put it on the lie detector and look dumbfounded.

Cheers Wal.

Yeah I agree. Oallen and the crossing are about the only two easy access areas left, bloody state government has sold off the lot through there, guess that's where the $84m for the nerriga rd come from.

Wouldn't be surprised mate...that's a hell of a good road since the upgrade.

Would have been nice if they added a few more public access spots to the river, but we're talking "Government" here, and they have some party called the "Greens" to keep happy, before they keep the chaps with a pioneering spirit happy.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts