Oallen Ford NSW Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday folks,

I'll be heading to Oallen ford in the next few weeks to do some highbanking. I have only been once before with very little luck. I was wondering how far up the shoalhaven river we are allowed to explore? Also, a friend of mine believes I didn't find much due to not test panning deep enough. However, I was under the belief that flood gold was usually fairly shallow?

Any tips to making the trip more succesful would be warmly welcome.

Thanks.

G'day Dylan, generally at the ford you want to work the top 4-6 inches to get the flood gold. It definatly pays to test pan out there, as you can dig in a spot and get 0.1-0.2g for a day when 2 foot away you could have done the same digging for 1-2g.
There can be pay layers deeper down, but it is a lot more work to locate and follow these.

I will be at the ford from the 2nd 12th to the 9th 12th look for red /gold patrol with old grey headed gent . Just say hello

Hi all thinking of heading out to oallen over Xmas sometime. Never been there and still not 100% sure where it is. When I google oallen there is a bridge near by that has a lot wash scattered. Is this the place? Or are there other places around. Only doing a day trip due to work want to maximise my day if anyone can put me onto a spot that would be very merry. Also I only have 25m of hose should I ask Santa for more to get me onto some better spots? Thanks all

m8 yes its not a bridge persay but a corseway. you need to be on the northern side..braidwood side that is. very fine gold is there but is much more abundant soon after a heavy flood. of course it is possible to do well if you happen upon a sweet spot but that is true of almost anywhere these days.if i were you i would concentrate as far UPSTREAM FROM THE LARGE BAR that you can comfortably set up..and to that end there is a bit of a track that goes in that direction. look for trails of ironstone and of course areas where there are natural riffles. if the water levels permit try some crevising and make sure you use a brush to clean up the bedrock wherever possible. weekends can be spoilt here by motorcyclists and other hoons so be prepared for that. your 25mtrs of hose might be fine ,just depends on where you might feel is the best spot to operate,water level etc.All this is just my experience over the years but i might add that i have only done well here after flooding has occurred. Other members might well be able to advise you of alternative spots other then i have suggested. good luck :)

Danielkrupski said:
Hi all thinking of heading out to oallen over Xmas sometime. Never been there and still not 100% sure where it is. When I google oallen there is a bridge near by that has a lot wash scattered. Is this the place? Or are there other places around. Only doing a day trip due to work want to maximise my day if anyone can put me onto a spot that would be very merry. Also I only have 25m of hose should I ask Santa for more to get me onto some better spots? Thanks all

G day Daniel

Attached below is my research map, the last time I went down there about 2007. Best tip is get a map of Sydney water land holdings down there, back in 2007 there was a lot that Sydney water owned, and they use to allow prospectors, camper, fish man etc, any recreational activity, but some people were putting "private Property, and keep out signs so they could have their own exclusive free camp ground. Check with Sydney water, as it will make access easier for you.

I should be down there two over christmas, come over and have a sherbet.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/1900/1387102376_oallen_forde_map.pdf

Regards

John

Oh either a Grey 75 serious land cruiser, you won.t miss her, or a black disco 3

Just got back from oallen ford, tried some new spot and bingo onto the gold stuff :D, did anyone else go for a dig.

Great to hear you got onto some, and isn't the river great for a swim at the moment ;) Might catch up with you at the river over summer. The river seems a big magnet during the current heat we're having, and a great spot to chill out. Good luck on the next trip out mate,

Cheers Wal.

banksy said:
Just got back from oallen ford, tried some new spot and bingo onto the gold stuff :D, did anyone else go for a dig.

Hay Steve,
Good to catch up with you today. Did you try the spots I pointed out? how did you go?
I just finished unpacking the Landcruiser and putting all the gear away. Well that's what I thought until I just looked out the back door and noticed my highbanker, trommel and buckets on the roof :rolleyes:
I'm yet to do the cleanup from my Mongarlowe trip, it should be good from what I saw when cleaning the "Stealthbanker" out.

BBQ and beer wal, the kids had a ball and the spot that you pointed out backcreek worked a treat, a heap of fine gold will clean it up tomorrow, should have stayed for mate. Wal are you still making/taking orders for your HB.

Steve

Good to banksy. Fine is not the word I would have used for what comes out of there, we popped down for a little. Did you talk to guy from WA in the 200 series, right near the bridge? Got a bit noisey, so we buggered off over near the old Peggy' s gully site, more nuggerty there.

Spoke to a few old contacts, for those of you that go there often, might pay to check that lands office, seems that they may have sold lots 30 and 33 I think, they were the old lots owned by the crown and used by the police for training, these are the first two past the recreational area heading too nerriga, in front of the large recreational area that is further upstream from the bridge. Seems that there is suppose to be an access easement through the centre to allow recreational users to access that part. There is a nice blind dump right on the corner there that looks a nice spot.

Let me know how you go cleaning it, I would look forward to hearing some easer ideas of getting the fine stuff out of the concentrate.

I love that river
There is some really big bass in there
Was watching my suction hose with cactus when a large bass mooches pasted by us
Not a lure in sight lol

Hay Banksy,
Good to hear the spot I suggested worked out for you, it works for me as well. But don't tell anybody. OK :D

Mudguts,
I spooked something large in the shallows at Mongarlowe during the week. I don't know what species it was but it was about 20" long and scared the poop out of me as it thrashed to get away. :eek:
It was the last thing I was expecting.

A couple of years ago on a rarely visited stretch of the river I had a curious carp and a platypus come and check me out.

Cheers
Mick

Mudguts, next time you should try rock fishing for bass, I have found it primitive but very successful.

Once came across 5 big bass sitting in formation in the middle of a 3' wide creek, picked up a footy sized rock, let fly and took home a great feed for dinner after my mates and I picked ourselves off the ground having spent several minutes in hysterical laughter. It was the biggest bass any of us had ever caught.

We'll be at the ford tomorrow second time ever, if anyone is around be good to catch up, we'll be in the squeaky rodeo ute :8

C&L