nutha newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi to all. pair of old f...ts here looking to get away more. have been fossicking a couple of times and getting prune bummed for a little colour, greatttt!.. have an old dick smith detector (ok I know, it's not a rolls Royce)
somewhere and no knowledge of metal detecting, this site seems like a good place to start.

You picked the right place upanaway, welcome to PA and look forward to reading the exploits of the 'two old f...ts' :lol:

DeckyDan said:
Hi there, what model dick smith do you have out of interest?
sorry deckydan turns out its a aldi paperweight/anchor used once at windeyer, but not seriously. will attempt backyard practice and if no good will strip and dump as it does have a waterproof coil thingo (real dummy here 8) ).

Shoota said:
As one old f..t to another.. Welcome Upanaway! ;)
Ta. Funny how time is slowly running out (72 &66, dog, small pommy caravan, ford territory ) and that big nugget is waiting for us........... :8

Jaros said:
Welcome to P.A. tof's.
jaros :p
Thanks Jaros. we are looking to get advice/training with help from members in our vicinity. Have had a go at panning and was really good fun, with just a smidge of colour. Have a toy detector from aldi (I know, a doorstop) but will invest in something better once we have a handle on a few things. It's not the pot of gold but the enjoyment and exercise (wash that mouth out :eek: ) as we are turning into statues. We have a small caravan and most items for travelling except of course a good metal detector and gooder :lol: company looking for goodies.

TheSilentBugler said:
Always room for a couple of old farts.
Thanks, but am a bit worried with your message as I weigh almost 120kg ....an straight he he he :D

Welcome to PA, and yes I was like you running a 1991 XT17000 then took the big plunge into a SDC after months of reading and research, have not looked back and the best investment I have made.

upanaway said:
DeckyDan said:
Hi there, what model dick smith do you have out of interest?
sorry deckydan turns out its a aldi paperweight/anchor used once at windeyer, but not seriously. will attempt backyard practice and if no good will strip and dump as it does have a waterproof coil thingo (real dummy here 8) ).

It would probably be good in parks on coins.
I turn my metal detecter rite down anyway cause I just want the coins on the surface, 2nd time out got $27 in $1 and $2 coins in very little time at a footy field :)

Gudday.
You're not alone here. My parents are in their 70s and credit me for getting them out of the house and back into the bush on weekends. Mum recently invested in a late model detector we call her "Woot woo machine" because it squeals like a wolf-whistle when it goes over gold. We travel several hours and hundred kms each weekend to search distant fields for that elusive retirement nugget.

Best of luck and welcome.

Latest posts