Nugget Finder Mono 8x6 Sadie Coil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're O ring sealed on the cable entry and only deemed "water resistant"....not "water proof". I do know however a pro mate of mine, who has Sika flex'd the cable entry of a Sadie and a 12" round NF, and has been running it underwater for the past 2 years without any problems. It would void the warranty, but I've seen personally about 5 oz he has found in shallow creek beds with them.

So you wouldn't recommend submerging the coil Wal? I wonder what Rob's Detectors is on about then :/

I've got 2 Sadies and one of them I submerse very often in the creeks around the Tuena / Bathurst region. The one i submerse is Sika-flexed at the cable entry.

Coil still goes the same as when I bought it, and It has paid for itself many times over in shallow bedrock cracks that very few dare to detect.

I only ever submerse in shallow water and for only short periods of time. I'm sure if ever It stuffed up, the warranty would be void, but it's that old now it ran out of warranty years ago. What it has found however would pay for more than half a dozen new ones. ;)

got myself a sadie from coiltek yesterday now to get out and give it a swing this weekend, any advice on using it would be welcomed :D

Hi Jafnob, I put a sadie on my 4500 when I come across some place with small gold. Hard to cover a lot of ground with one, so they work best on old diggings where you can be sure lots of small gold was thrown out while they dug down to the rich bottom.

Because they are light weight they are brilliant for doing the vertical/steeply inclined inside walls of 1800's dig holes, and creek banks and right under bushes, where there always seems to be some gold.
cheers RDD

Thanks rdd, I got a couple of spots I'm going to try tomorrow that will be perfect for that, heaps of old holes and mullock heaps, hopefully I walk over some, thanks also Martty84, lucky you responded, I was actually going to attach it to the top of my heap to prevent aliens getting a bead on me but clearly I was barking up the wrong tree, may all your targets be lead pellets ;)

All good mate, I was just trying to add a bit of humor to the question, hence the wink icon but my apologies the skins obviously not too thick. Don't worry bout wishing bad luck on me, I'm a novice with a lot to learn about detecting so most of my targets are lead or iron anyway.

Don't stress matty84, I was taking the p155 out of you, I knew what you meant that's why I had a crack back, that's why I don't like dealing in text as you don't always pick up the humour and sarcasm, I'm new to mate, just got my first detector a 5000 and still can't find the stuff lol

I have used a sadie coil on my 4800 and have found a few bits, nothing to write home about but I can vouch that they work great. Like everything, low and slow is the key.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing some nice gold from your new coil.

Jafnob said:
Don't stress matty84, I was taking the p155 out of you, I knew what you meant that's why I had a crack back, that's why I don't like dealing in text as you don't always pick up the humour and sarcasm, I'm new to mate, just got my first detector a 5000 and still can't find the stuff lol

No worries! Well the first time I used the sadie I took my other half along and the very first target it found was a little .15 nug down about 30mm... I think she thought every target was gonna be gold from then on, alas the rest for the day were that lead you wished upon me or ear piercing .22 cases sitting on the surface.

Hey mate- my sadie used to practically live on my 5000 and probably payed for its self 20 times over. Heres a few tips:

- Don't be afraid to rub it on the ground. The sadie is made for getting the small stuff, and with a lot of those small faint signals you wont hear them unless your rubbing it on the ground- be prepared to chew through a few skid plates though. I had mates that would also run small coils but didn't like rubbing them on the ground and they didn't get anywhere near what I was getting.

- Find a spot where you know gold has been found, like a bunch of detector holes or a scrape etc, now chain that area very, very slowly and carefully in fine gold and you have a very, very high chance of getting gold. Remove any branches, rocks etc in the area your chaining and make sure you cover every square inch of the area your targeting and expand outwards in all directions. Its often mindboggling how much small gold is left behind in areas that are apparently "thrashed".

- Old scraped piles and mullock heaps can have plenty of gold in them. The sadies don't punch very deep, so after you've detected a pile rake a few inches off and detect it again and again, ive got ounces and ounces doing that.

Anyway good luck out there. :)

Thanks a lot guys much appreciated, the advice and ideas are invaluable, cheers once again

Thanks Pilbarachad, really appreciate the info, do you just run the same settings as with your other mono coils, besides the fine gold setting of course, or just run he factory settings?

I run a sadie on my 5000 and it is slow going. But it gets where the bigger coils wont go. If you are happy to cover, visually, a small area for the day without getting itchy feet to get moving, a sadie is worth it. Patience is the key like with any woman. LOL.

Great tips from pilbarachad there.^

The NF Sadie is a great little coil. Found my first ever little nugget with one on the 5000 (and then a couple more thanks to Lbg dreamer).

I basically just ran mine in all factory preset [FP] and used Fine Gold. You can ramp this little coil up a fair bit too (if needed). Had no real issue with EMI or hot ground where my other coils require some tweaking to remain stable.

Pulled a few deeper junky targets over time. Found part of an old miners boot heel down at 15". It gave a nice reverse low tone. Thought I was on a real winner until that rust stain showed itself in the clays lol! Remember to overlap your sweeps well as you're only covering very minimal ground. Come back and go 90 to your previous sweeps if you can.

You definitely get a little spoiled with it as you can't really feel the weight of the thing on the end of the shaft :)

A nice, highly recommended addition to the coil arsenal!
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Jafnob said:
Thanks Pilbarachad, really appreciate the info, do you just run the same settings as with your other mono coils, besides the fine gold setting of course, or just run he factory settings?

For settings there were only a few that I ever played with and changed, namely RX gain which I would run as high as possible before getting EMI etc generally I ran that anywhere between about 11 and 16 or so, generally higher in the cooler months and lower in summer as you seem to get a heap more EMI. When I first got my 5000 someone told me to keep the stabilizer 2 points below your gain so I stuck with that for the first few months and never ventured too far from that too be honest. My settings were a bit hotter than a lot of my mates ie I ran it a bit noisier with my settings, but was always easily able to distinguish targets from background noise, I had a GP extreme prior to my 5000 so I was kinda used to a bit of noise. I also always ran my detector in fixed tracking and never ran it in deep (unless on salt flats).

What syndyne mentioned about overlapping your swings is another good point also- on several occaisions ive picked up nuggets on my own chain marks by simply coming back in the other direction. Also pulled a few nuggies out of other peoples holes aswell.

Some of the most fun ive had detecting is with that coil, like I said before if you find a spot where there are old detector holes or an old scrape- with that coil and some patience you are almost guaranteed gold (well before the SDC came out anyway).

Heres a story for ya- a mate of a mate found a very small patch probably 4m x 4m on a creek bed that he pulled 200+ sub gram nuggets from before it ran dry for him- im not sure what detector and coil he was using. My mate then put a bit of time into it, hand scraped a little and ended up getting about 50 little subbies before letting me know about- he was using a 5000 and sadie. Now the first time I hit it, I spent about 45 minutes going over that tiny little patch from every angle and ended up with a single tiny bit. Then over about another 7-8 visits I slowly raked off and inch or so at a time, and ended up with a few nuggets after each raking- many of them only just being able to be picked up with the 5000 and sadie, I started taking my goldbug 2 with me and got a mate out there with his GMT aswell, I must of pulled another 50 or so nuggets out of there-not much weight but real good fun. Now anyway moral of that story is that even after 2 others had flogged a tiny little spot like that, you would think that there would be nothing left at all, not a single fleck- but using the right coil, settings, detector etc and being persistant you will be amazed at how much gets left behind. Oh yeah quickly went over that spot a couple of months ago with my GPZ7000 and pulled another couple subbies right out of the middle of it. If a spots given up gold in the past it generally still will for quite a while.

Good luck out there- looking forward to seeing some pics of your finds. :)

Latest posts