NT Northern Territory information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easygold said:
Simmo said:
We got 10 ounces in 4 days at Arltunga.

Wow thats a nice find
Im in Alice and thinking of getting into Prospecting
Are you a local to Alice?
Wow that is a nice introduction of who your are and what you do for your first post
Welcome i am sure lots of information will be coming your way

7.62marksman said:
Easygold said:
Simmo said:
We got 10 ounces in 4 days at Arltunga.

Wow thats a nice find
Im in Alice and thinking of getting into Prospecting
Are you a local to Alice?
Wow that is a nice introduction of who your are and what you do for your first post
Welcome i am sure lots of information will be coming your way

Hahaha yet
Im just looking at getting in the hobby
Ive never been on forum before
Im 6,3
Blueeyes blonde hair
Love bush walkS
Have a dog
4wd
Live in Central Australia

I used to drive in there to the 'loneliest pub in the scrub' and have a beer or 12 with the old School teacher that ran it. (Pete was his name from memory?)
I never found a piece of gold around there, so in the morning would head out further to mining leases owned back then by 'Poseiden Mining' (sic).
I had written permission from these guys, as well as Ambalindum Station.
I'd rarely drive back out the way I came in, but come out Gem tree way.

Everywhere we found gold out there was old timers activity (shafts, drives diggings etc)
Nigh on always below a quartz blow.

The 10 ounce trip was one that I went out on with Doug Stone and Ian Aitkin.
Most of the gold was found on the flat between the base of the Hill quartz blow and the creek.

I'd go back there often on my own and never came home with an empty pot!
My wedding ring and my Ex's engagement rings are made from Arltunga Gold!

I'll try to find a photo later!

Simmo said:
I used to drive in there to the 'loneliest pub in the scrub' and have a beer or 12 with the old School teacher that ran it. (Pete was his name from memory?)
I never found a piece of gold around there, so in the morning would head out further to mining leases owned back then by 'Poseiden Mining' (sic).

Everywhere we found gold out there was old timers activity (shafts, drives diggings etc)

Most of the gold was found on the flat between the base of the Hill quartz blow and the creek.

Carol and I stopped at that pub for a quick lunchtime drink back in 91. Didn't get out of there till sundown and Carol had to drive. :lol: :lol: :lol: Great place and a great couple running it back then. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Simmo said:

Wow! thanks for all the great info
What metal detector did you have at the time
Im just try to workout if I should invest in a metal detector or not
Do you think theres gold out west of Alice too?
Are you stilly getting out fir a swing wherever you are?

Back then, I had a Garret Groundhog...
The Minelab SD2000 had just come out and it absolutely blitzed anything else out there!

Yeah, I still get out there and have a go with my 5000 and 2300... best detecting combo out there in my eyes!

I will be travelling through the northern territoy from june comming up stewart hwy, heading through davenport National park up to Darwin then out to Coberg Peninsula

i would like to find areas to gold detect or fossick along the way and are prepared to go well out of my way to do this but i am having difficulty finding any meaningfull information on areas to do this

any help with areas to detect would be very usefull along with any relevant information

Google's not everything there is such a thing as people having knowledge and experience of areas they have been to not just the areas the government tell you

Search Facebook groups and join one that's relative to state you are going.....keep trying things like N.T. prospecting, or Tasmanian gold etc etc.
Also when you get to Darwin, go the depth of mines and energy in Smith St mall, 2nd floor, and see mick there. He will help you out.
Then there is the states website.
Google Strike NT.
Spend some time using the menu on the left of the screen.
Click the box with the relevant info.
Finally, google

NT Rocks.
Good luck.

Google's not everything there is such a thing as people having knowledge and experience of areas they have been to not just the areas the government tell you
The Northern Territory is full of goldfields - just Google or go to the department website, Major goldfields throughout the Pine Creek and Tennant Creek regions as a starter.

Hi Guys thanks to davent and goldierock for information
Many others - eg White Range and others east of Alice Springs, and Alligator Rivers area now not permitted. That should start your search in terms of regions.

Latest posts