NSW Highbanking - what is the current state of play?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it. LOL

I will be using a square of weed mat in a hollow for the banker to discharge into.

dwt said:
I have a close friend that uses a home made banker up in n.s.w(and it aint small), he usually sets the machine up out of the creek bed and allows the water to partly strain through grass's and if its dry he takes out a sack out of a evaporative air conditioner and allows all the waste to run through the sack before entering back into the water ways, he has decided to do this as an enviromentally friendly way to stop the "MAN" crawling all over his back.
I decided to contact him after reading this post and ask if he has ever been pinched, he replied, "no, been pulled up once, they viewed what i was doing and left a while later, they seemed happy enough" get seen doing the right thing or attempting to do the right thing can go a long way in making a difference to a judgement call being made by the authorities.
Leave holes, disturbed rocks, piles of rocks, all this will get frowned upon wether your banking or panning, use a pump to feed your banker and keep the area neat and tidy and making an attempt to help keep the water ways clear and your probarbly not going to have any real issues.
just do whatever you thinks right. ;)

Hi,

My name is Raizo and I've been gold prospecting here in SEQLD since late 2011.
Have only found a little, mostly fine gold from Kilkivan and the Warwick region.
Enough to make a ring for the missus but definitely not enough to retire 8.(

Just purchased a permit to fossick in NSW State Forests.
Want to know what the regs are on the use of battery powered bilge pumps to
run my high banker.

Hoping you guys can help.

Thanks

Raizo, the Fat Ninja

Hey Raizo,
Havent heard from you for quite a while.
Hope all is good.
Brad...
Still getting good slugs out at glendon.. :)

Thanks guys.

I think I found my answer here...Oops, not enough posts to put up a link.

Hi Brad, all is well mate. Just had a few little changes, ie change in job though still with the same company. I Now have more time with family and to pursue my dreams of finding that retirement nugget...lol

Hope to catch up with you out in the field one day. The count and I are getting ready for a trip.
I bought meself a Gold Well Sluice High Banker (I know I know, another one eh?). It is the bomb.
I will try to post a video of me running it. So easy to setup, use and do clean ups. Downside is the price. Did manage to get a good deal from the manufacturer though.

Hope this photo of it works:

1413058329_image.jpg

Raizo

Nice little set up Raizo,
I havent been out for some time due to things to be done around the house and family.
Will catch up soon for a hunt.
Cheers
Brad...

I'm interested to see how that highbanker goes the reviews of it are great. I wonder how it will go with constant shovelling of unscreened material and sticky clay? Keep us all posted.

Highbanker without the screen. Preferred way of running material for max through out:

1413193538_image.jpg

Gold take from running 10 buckets of tailings, previously processed using Gold Hog mats,
Angus Mackirk sluice, Bucket sluice concentrator and Blue Bowl:

1413193720_image.jpg

Raizo

I have been trying to find out from Tamworth council regarding the use of highbankers from Bowling Alley Point along the river to Nundle and was advised by the council "it's out of council's area of authority" and forwarded to Aquaculture & Aquatic Environment| Department of Primary Industries and they advised "Thank you for your enquiry. Attached are the NSW Fossicking guidelines. No power operated machinery is to be used when fossicking"

So no highbankers at all????
Could someone please clarify.

Dejavu23_au said:
I have been trying to find out from Tamworth council regarding the use of highbankers from Bowling Alley Point along the river to Nundle and was advised by the council "it's out of council's area of authority" and forwarded to Aquaculture & Aquatic Environment| Department of Primary Industries and they advised "Thank you for your enquiry. Attached are the NSW Fossicking guidelines. No power operated machinery is to be used when fossicking"

So no highbankers at all????
Could someone please clarify.

This question is asked all the time, state forrests say no pumps which you agree to when buying your Nsw fossiking permit,and I wouldn't be game to try since your vehicle can be confiscated along with all your possessions if the ranger decides to throw the book at you, on crown land ( with permission of lease holders if applicable)using a pump on a high banker to my understanding is fine under the fossickers act as the pump is not processing or excavating material but simply moving water from the stream to the high banker which is allowed under the water management act as long as under a certain amount of water is used.
That's only my understanding and opinion though, best to check the regs and interpret them for your self.
Also helps to talk to a few locals before making a ruckus

Thanks Digginholes.
Where I go is a public access area just down stream of Swamp Creek (see earlier pic from Shivan 19/01). There are no signs, fences/gates. I would think that it should be fine to use a highbanker in these areas??

Never been to the place but having designated fossiking areas clearly stating no pumps, my guess is having one anywhere along that creek I'd only going to stir the pot.
Maybe a river sluice is the go ;)

thesmithy said:
For the last time....Tamworth council abide by the guidlines set out for Fossicking laws in NSW.
Follow the guidlines......there is no issues.
Don't undermine banks.
Fill in holes
Don't discharge turbid water back into waterway.
Replace large rocks to there original sight.
do not use any mechanical power operated machinary to excavate material.

The pump is used for transfering water from one location to another...so long as it remains in the flood plain.
Enough said.

Please read the miners Act it is in black and white for all to see.

I have been enquiring with Tamworth council and Aquaculture & Aquatic Environment,Department of Primary Industries.
They have told me "Highbank sluices are NOT allowed as the use of a pump to pump water to your sluice is considered to be a power operated piece of equipment".

Yes a water pump is power operated. The rules of the mining act state, power operated equipment may not be used for surface disturbance, excavation or processing. A water pump is an independent piece of equipment that is used for water transfer and the only thing it processes is water. A pump is also aloud for use under the Water Management Regulation 2011. Just my 2 cents

We have steered clear of Nundle because of all the stories we have heard, i read on another forum of someone using a highbanker getting moved on by fisheries but they were in one of the fossicking areas which seem to be posted as no motorized pumps.

It's to confusing. The laws contradict each other???
Why indicate in a couple of designated fossicking areas "no pumps" and no where else along the River!
Highbankers are allowed throughout NSW...but not Nundle?????

The decision to allow or not allow fossicking or any other recreational activity on managed crown land is at the discretion of whoever manages the land. This could be any one of organisation's like Local Land Services, Common Lands Trusts, Local Council, private leaseholders etc.
If they allow fossicking but won't allow highbanking then unfortunately you have to play by what they allow. If people don't follow their decision then they are within their rights to not allow fossicking at all.
I have been in an area, think it was Wattle Flat common - not 100% sure now, & the sign at the entry has something like "no motorised generators or pumps" as a general condition of entry. It isn't connected to any fossicking directive, just there in general, so it isn't just Nundle that can or does have these things.
Plenty of people have & do use highbankers at Nundle so there must be some allowable areas there.

I agree with you mbasko that a duly authorised land manager or land owner can stipulate any conditions they wish including not to use pumps.

My general (non legal) understanding of the NSW legislation and regs is that use of pump to reticulate water for the purpose of fossicking (as defined in the mining act) is OK if you return the water back to the watercourse ( obviously not turbid straight into the creek..returned to gravel beside creek). The exemption allowing water to be supplied for fossicking is written in clause 35 of the NSW water management regs and cross referenced in a couple places and cross-referenced to the mining act in relation to the definition of fossicking. And have no doubt when they say "fossicking" they are defining fossicking as it is legally defined in the Mining act...what we do when we sluice/pan/detect recreationally.

I guess the kicker is that if pumping water for the purpose of fossicking is not allowed (as some would say.. because the act/reg is not written plainly), then why did they write in an exemption type clause in the regs for fossicking at all. If we could not reticulate water then fossicking would not be specifically identified in the exemption clause.

All the above legislation assumes that you first must have the authorisation of the land manager/owner to fossick.

I believe the bottom line is that use of highbankers has a long history in NSW and has always been accounted for in the legislation, but recently some public servants have taken the view it is not allowed (because they think it surely could not be allowed in their mind).

I believe NSW fossickers need to strongly take the view that use of pumped water has always been our right under laws/Acts/Regs. and that highbanking has a long history and precedent in this state and that the "views" and the current interpretation of some land management officers is incorrect.

The act needs to be cleaned up and reworded to ensure everyone understands the use of water for fossicking is allowable.

This post is just my views of course.
RDD

Dejavu - Look up Larry Eveleigh at Nundle, he does tours up that way and will show you places miles better than the Peel.

As for the other 'issues' at Nundle, I've had numerous discussions at length with 'Nundle Guy'. I'm not going to give my opinion but I understand and sympathise with his position.

Head up the hill, any direction from Tamworth (Uralla or Hanging Rock) and you'll have a better time of it. More gold and the weather is cooler too!

Latest posts