Not sure how to start

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella92

Bella
Reaction score
Hi there im Bella. Never done this before so have no idea where to start. My sister and I were travelling home last Tuesday from the coast and stopped at Oallen Ford for lunch. Started talking to some people who were in the river looking for gold and the smiles on their faces and the way they spoke they made it sound like so much fun that Im thinking that I would like to try it. So what do I do and what do I need to start with? If anyone could help me in the right direction it would be great :)

Hi Bella and welcome
best thing to do IMO would be to do a lot of reading on here and then grab yourself a pan and some tools small shovel etc etc
i am sure that someone will teach you how to pan however you can get a lot of info off you tube
if you are looking at a detector then there is more reading on here and depending on your budget is what one you get
any questions please ask someone will answer as they come on line
at oallen it could have been me and another member on here and his family as we were under the bridge on tuesday and yes we had a ball :lol: :lol:
1515297757_7.jpg

OMG really? Wow what a small world! I was with my sister and we spoke to a lady in the river and also a guy and there was little kids there too under the bridge. I am looking on line for pans now. I have started to read some of the posts on here, is there normally people down there most of the times in case I get stuck?

Hi Bella,

Welcome...I'm not sure what others would recommend, but I have tried quite a few pans and find the Garret Super Sluice pans the best.

Good luck and happy prospecting!

Matt

Thankyou :) little bit overwhelmed with all the reading and information at the moment so taking it slowly . Thankyou for the advice Satman I will look that one up. Everyone here seems to so helpful, seems like a great community to belong to :)

yes that was us :lol: :lol:
copy and paste this in ebay -- Garrett Gold Pan Kit --
to me they are a good starter set
most weekends there is someone down there that will help
if not under the bridge then about up or down stream there will be someone
when you become a member it opens up more windows
one is member meet ups keep an eye on that and and feel free to drop in where ever we are
you will be more then welcome and i can vouch for the guys and girls on here the are a good bunch and will be only willing to give advice and help you out

Ok have looked up the both suggestions and ordered the Kit, should be here next week :) Do I have to pay to become a member?

Welcome, Bella if you're interested in sapphires Wee Jasper is a good place near you about a 1 and a half west of north-west on Canberra. If you're looking to get into to prospecting/fossicking a good book is a decent way to start.

Welcome bella92. Lots of helpful people on here. But be careful once you get that first color you will have and addiction. Lol. GOLD FEVER. Im pretty new to it also and it is great being in bush. Good luck :Y:

Thankyou all so much for been so welcoming :) Is there any other places around Canberra that I can try besides Oallen Ford?

Hi Bella,

I believe that there are some goldfields in between Canberra and the coast almost due west. By memory I think that they are 20-50km inland but it has been a while since I last looked and my memory could serve to confuse.

Cheers

Matt

Anolphart thanks for the suggestion but I think they might get a bit upset if I take some :lol:

Satman I had a look online but could not find any :) that could just be because I dont really know where to look though

7.62 Marksman, that would be great thankyou :)

Latest posts