No wonder we get kicked out of parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what he said in his coments

The property was farmland,which has since been ploughed and cropped. So don't need to be as careful digging targets on these type of sites as you do when in public parks,etc. :)

Are you sure they're holes? I can see the obvious one but can't make out anything else in the distance except tyre tracks in the dirt / mud.

Its annoying watching videos on Youtube with guys digging holes and putting the soil onto the grass, it clearly leaves a soiled patch.. Not sure why ppl don't just use a towel and sit the soil on that so when you finish with the hole it looks like you were never there...
Heres an example of a guy in a nice maintained Park and digging crap holes

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-j8v7K-SM[/video]

you would think that at the very least the holes would be filled back in..farmland or not..isn't that the detectorists code of conduct?

I agree with what you're saying SL, but in the guys defense, (other than the obvious crater to the left) it's almost impossible to determine as to whether or not the rest of those darkish patches are unfilled or filled holes from that video, and I've watched it 3 times now 8)

I wasn't having a go mate, just saying that I personally can't make out any unfilled holes in that video.

Living in Rowville i have never been game to detect parks?
Many of the local parks have signs that prohibit the hitting of golf balls, due to the damage of the lawns?
I guess detecting would not be allowed and seeing some great big fresh holes on the goldfields i can't say i blame them for making these rules.

I do a little beach detecting between Rosebud & Aspendale, results vary depending on wether someone else has been very thorough before you or coins all sunk in the sand washed out to sea etc.

Have done some coin hunting around old gold towns which is how i found my 1916 Florin.
A mates parents have a shack up near Rokewood and i was given permission to detect, found a nice old medallion around the size of a penny, it had Queen Victoria on it.
My mates Dad asked if he could keep it as he grew up in the district so i gladly gave it to him. I also found a 1/2 Penny on the property plus an english 3P i kept these.

The first fella needs to ditch the pick and get a proper digging tool or try coin popping, plus a pinpointer wouldn't go astray. Most of his holes didn't look that deep, so a bit disappointing about spreading so much material around on the surface, plus the ground looked real dry. Moot point really though, considering the area was no longer used, wish I could find some areas like that. :)

With parks its all about respect, those guys are out mostly every day maintaining those parks so best just not dig them.. the only places I dig in parks is up around the trees where the grass isn't kept cut and its covered in leaves.. Ive asked many council guys and they don't mind this cause its off the good grass

the duck said:
First video needs pinpointing practice and retrieval technique, and the second video these two have got into serious trouble of which i will not go into

What do you mean mate lol. Can u PM me what happened ?

Leave as Found
There is 4 main reasons for leaving the ground as we find it
1/The greenies are just looking for reason to stop us digging.
2/ We are all currently been watched for the next 12 months at least under new laws in Victoria. I will say while it is Victoria I am positive it could roll on across other states.
3/We don't want everyone digging in our prized area's so if it doesn't look like it's dug others can't see your tracks & might not follow in your footsteps.
4/ If you leave it as found you are more likely to be invited back & not get kick out.
So my opinion & I don't care if it is farmland, grass reserve or goldfield if you can't leave it as found you will have a detrimental affect on everyone & that includes yourself.
So if you aren't willing to leave as found don't dig or detect.

That's so very true Dave, That's why im so annoyed with AUSSIE TREASURE HUNTER on Youtube, all his videos he is mainly digging Parks that are well looked after and he is digging messy holes and not caring!!

Maybe Prospectors from this forum should leave a comment on his videos, And maybe he might listen and act on it.

Danmuss said:
That's so very true Dave, That's why im so annoyed with AUSSIE TREASURE HUNTER on Youtube, all his videos he is mainly digging Parks that are well looked after and he is digging messy holes and not caring!!

Maybe Prospectors from this forum should leave a comment on his videos, And maybe he might listen and act on it.

Make a video of your own mate and show the people who are doing it wrong, how to do it right. I dont coin shoot so i cannot comment to much but you posted some other videos in "general chat" that shows these 2 out at night, couple of reasons why someone would detect at night....1) to avoid the heat of day.................2) so you dont get seen doing the wrong thing in areas you are not supposed to be in!!!!!..........wonder which one fits there bill :|

dwt said:
Danmuss said:

Make a video of your own mate and show the people who are doing it wrong, how to do it right. I dont coin shoot so i cannot comment to much but you posted some other videos in "general chat" that shows these 2 out at night, couple of reasons why someone would detect at night....1) to avoid the heat of day.................2) so you dont get seen doing the wrong thing in areas you are not supposed to be in!!!!!..........wonder which one fits there bill :|

Well mate I don't even search on Maintained grass areas in Parks, I stick to the untreated grass areas, usually up in the trees, Even when I dig up around these areas I still use a towel to put my soil on to save messing the surrounding areas around my hole and when Ive filled in the hole it looks like it hasn't been dug..

Me personally he is avoiding Park rangers lol and searching National Parks which are forbidden

some National Parks (unfortunately not many) do allow "prospecting".
If you get a miner's right ...and I did because even though I was searching for coins I thought swinging a detector on a known gold field could arouse interest, the 5 National Parks which you can check out are listed.
http://www.energyandresources.vic.g...requently-asked-questions-about-miners-rights
you need to scroll down about 1/3 of the page under the heading of "28. Is prospecting permitted in National Parks?"

For the record the ground was mostly a real b*stard to dig but on the upside holes were easy to cover up due to the amount of leaf litter & kindling. Not much found but plenty of metallic junk dating back to the 1960's by the looks of it.

Latest posts