newbies coming for first visit to australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, My friend and I are living in Koh Samui Thailand, we would like to come to Australia to try our hand at metal detecting
My friend has years of experience of underwater detecting searching for lost jewellery off the beaches of Samui however I
have no experience at all. What area would you recommend we go to ..we are thinking Victoria ? but we can fly into Perth also.
Is the GPZ7000 a bit too much for a newbie. Rent or buy ?
My friend uses a White's detector. He will bring that with him.
Thinking of a 2 week trip. Hire a camper van (they seem a bit expensive though)...advice appreciated.
Im a Brit, he's a Yank.

I think it might be best if you both go on an organised detecting tour if you are looking at a two week time span. By the time you get out to the goldfields (particularly in WA), do a week or 10 days, and get back to Perth for a few days sight seeing, two weeks will be gone. It would be very hard to get up to speed on locations and regulations etc for a two week trip. A tour would give you the best chance of success. You will need to avoid the summer period in WA!

Something like this, which is all inclusive out of Kalgoorlie, might suit, and I am sure there are similar options that people could tell you about.

http://www.goldandrelics.com.au/tours/7-day-outback-western-australia-gold-prospecting-adventure/

Latest posts