Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just kicking off and looking to Gold prospect in NSW with a detector.
I haven't purchased one as yet however looking right now to buy. Thought I would go for a GPX5000. What does the forum think?

Welcome to PA SB. The GPX will take a lot of patient learning for your first machine. If you do get one, make sure you book a good training session. Maybe consider an SDC2300 as (I understand), they're easier to learn. Also try to tag along with a few of the locals, as they'll teach you the right gear to take and many useful tips that can take years to pick up. Also - read Loamer's thread on what to look for out there.

BigWave said:
Welcome to PA SB. The GPX will take a lot of patient learning for your first machine. If you do get one, make sure you book a good training session. Maybe consider an SDC2300 as (I understand), they're easier to learn. Also try to tag along with a few of the locals, as they'll teach you the right gear to take and many useful tips that can take years to pick up. Also - read Loamer's thread on what to look for out there.

Thanks Bigwave, makes sense. Its just that I've been stuffing around for months when I could have been out there.
With Winter coming up the gold fields if its not already there, I'm frustrated as hell because I should have 3 months under my belt.

Just to top it off, I found out about the ML Hill End info day on the day it was on. What a tool am i........

BigWave, your advice on the SDC2300 is noted, but from what I have read, it's good for small gms. Does this mean it's not designed for nuggets? I sent understand the technology enough to know the difference.

I'm not the best to ask re using the SDC, but I've seen spectacular finds on here with them - small and medium.
Many with GPX etc are yet to crack the 1g mark. I'm still trying to crack the 10g with my 4500 - my largest to date are 8g and 7g after 3.5 years.
At least with the SDC you should be on the score board quicker.

Welcome aboard Soggybottom. The GPX 5000 is a great detector but it can take a bit of learning to know what to change in the settings and why. The SDC 2300 is great for small gold that other detectors might miss or struggle to find. As seen in the post about the SDC biggest nugget they will still find bigger nuggets if you get the coil over 1, provided it's within depth range of the coil for the settings you're using at the time. The 5k punches deeper but a lot depends on operator experience. :)

Latest posts