Newbie from Western Sydney!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

i am looking to jump fully into the deepend and start a journey in gold hunting.

I am young man with no history in hiking, camping or fossicking. Preperation, Safety and training is my main goals. I always saw gold panning was something from the olden days and gold detecting was for people looking for stuff at the beach. However the power of Youtube has opened my eyes. I have come across some awesome channels that showed the reality of gold prospecting in the modern age and i am gold hungry!. Gold panning, sluicing (wish we could highbank in NSW), and fossiking has really plucked some deep heart strings i didn't know i had. I really want to begin a journey into this hobby and hopefully become a capable and competent prospector.

If some of you knowledgeable and experienced prospectors can lend me some advice and answer some questions i would be extremely grateful.

• I have noticed that some of the NSW prospectors on youtube are prospecting (panning, crevicing, fossiking) in areas that are not state forests. I was under the impression gold prospecting could only take place in designated areas of state forests in NSW. [/*]
  • Is panning and crevicing different from fossicking? i only asks because i see people doing these things, in areas that are not fossicking approved areas. [/*]
  • How do you travel along river beds and along rivers that have properties lining them, are these areas open to the public?[/*]

I am sure i will have allot more questions, and i'm looking forward to being part of this community.

Thank you
SahandZ

Hey Sahandz,
I'm frequently out and about, you can have all of the advice in the world but I think we all learn our little ways best by results and persistence.

If you're ever planning a trip west of the mountains give me a buzz if you're interested and I'd be happy to show you some places and what to look for.

I'm no expert by far but I do have a fair index of being to almost every part of the rivers that way.

I only pan and dig cracks out, but the state forests out sunny Corner way have always been good to me and they're reasonably good for access and to start out on, personally I think smaller rivers are easier to understand without getting overwhelmed with information.

Good luck out there!

Latest posts