Newbie from the Illawarra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I found this amazing forum and after reading many intriguing stories and posts I decided to dip my feet in the water and get a detector.
Unfortunately, my budget is low at the moment so I was only able to get the Garrett ACE 300i (It was a toss-up between this and the Fisher 22 but I end up choosing the ACE)

I have a few questions, is this detector able to find gold? realistically? I noticed in the Garrets 'Favourite Finds' book that came with the detector, it had a few mentions of some gold found with the ACE 250 but wonder what the circumstances were in which these were found.

Also, is anybody here from around the Illawarra? If so, are there any good places to go to find coins or any other stuff? (and gold if possible lol) does the Illawarra have a rich history in terms of possible old coins in the area? History was never my strong suit.

The detector was purchased about a week and a half ago and I have taken it out to a couple of parks and beaches but found mostly aluminium cans and metal wrappers :argh:

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks Goody :)

I look forward to soaking up as much info on prospecting/detecting as I can. This forum seems to have a large number of people with vast experience. :Y:

hi 300ispy & welcome to PA, but 1st, really, dont ask people to give up their hard earned locations (research research research)
read lots, learn lots, and research lots. It doesn't come easy
On the Ace 300i, you bought a predominantly coin/jewellery/relic machine. The bit you missed is this is an American machine, where finding gold with a VLF is a bit different to Oz. The marketing material is USA biased.
use it to learn, & in time upgrade to a gold machine if that's what you're after
good luck & happy hunting :Y:

DED

Ded Driver said:
hi 300ispy & welcome to PA, but 1st, really, dont ask people to give up their hard earned locations (research research research)
read lots, learn lots, and research lots. It doesn't come easy
On the Ace 300i, you bought a predominantly coin/jewellery/relic machine. The bit you missed is this is an American machine, where finding gold with a VLF is a bit different to Oz. The marketing material is USA biased.
use it to learn, & in time upgrade to a gold machine if that's what you're after
good luck & happy hunting :Y:

DED

Thank you for the introduction and information! I will do as you said and research/learn as much as I can. :Y:
I will also refrain from asking stupid questions in future :lol:

No such thing as a stupid question...

I no as I have asked many :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goody :D

Latest posts