Newbie from Gippsland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day,
I've been mucking about looking for spots in the west Gippsland area to try out my new pan and yabby pump for the last 8 weeks or so. It's been fun taking the kids out into the bush and exploring the local area.

I was encouraged when a found a bit of colour in only my third pan.

I've tried looking around the hills behind a Willow Grove (although my first look at Russell's Creek looks like it's been well and truly worked over!).ive been up into the Mendic River and with more time am hopeful of finding some good spots.

All the places I find seem to have occasional rock bars extending over a river punctuated by long stretches of sand. There should be gold there (I hope / think?)" it seems though that would need a sluice to process all the sand getting to the bottom.

The spots I've looked at don't (yet) seem to resemble the good areas depicted on various YouTube clips (like Balxie's) as there has not been much exposed bedrock with cracks and holes to exploit. The search continues...

I had one question though and would love some feedback? I was out in the Neerim district today and came across a creek that was currently being well and truly worked with every drop, rock and tree stump having been dug out with piles of gravel discarded nearby. There must be good gold as whoever has been doing has worked 2-300 meters of the creek. You wouldn't do that unless it produced results? I came across what I assumed was the prospectors car nearby. Thinking I could meet a local prospector and have a chat I explored the creek, calling out (so as not to scare him/her). There was no response, so I assumed s/he did not want to be found. My question is: is it protocol to leave someone alone respecting their find, or do people generally stop for a chat? But I don't want to make an enemy just as I'm starting out.

I'll keep you all informed as I go!
Cheers
Tricky Dick

Hi TD, welcom. You're in a great area for fossicking. I reckon there are many many hundreds of acres of untouched land where you can have a ball. Pretty wild in the foothills but great nature..if you meet a fossicker out there, they might have headphones on or just want to be alone.
Let them have their peace and vice versa.
Have fun in the bush mate.
Jaros :p

Woo Hoo! I got amongst some color today, with two out of only three pans bringing up some specks.
After tearing around the hills with the kids exploring some likely looking spots I returned to my first panning location where I had previously had success.
This time, now the water levels have dropped and the waters also a little warmer I put through a few pans.
For specks all up - not bad for a newbie?

So far, I've only had a go at some cracks and crevasses above a rock bar. If the water continues to drop, I expect up have further success in the rock pool (2-3 feet deep) below the rock bar.
I've only got to find a way to keep the mozzies away from here!

Unfortunately I not had enough posts to put up a photo of the site. I can't understand why this place had not been stripped before as it's quite close to the road in a well known (historical) gold location? Oh well, not complaining...
Cheers
TD

Hi again,
I was also chatting to an Uncle over Christmas drinks that i knew was into detecting a while ago.
He approved of my locations as being known for gold bearing country and reckoned I'd do better with a MD compared to the yabby pump and pans that I was using.
It just so happens he's got an old Minelab SD 2000 sitting in his shed, which he's happy to lend to me!

So, what thoughts do others have about which way to go: panning or detecting?
TD

Also, "her indoors" has finally given in after years of me opining that our farm garden would look good with some peacocks strutting around.
She finally relinquished (with some eye rolling) that I could finally get the damn birds if only I can pay for it out of any gold I find - after I pay for any equipment I buy.

Well so far I've only outlayed $40 for a yabby pump, $17 for two Aussie Disposal pans, and $45 for a "bunnings sluice".
I reckon I won't need to spend any more for a while.
All I need know is to get out there and dust the pans off!
Cheers
TD :cool:

Gday Tricky Dick,
Welcome to the forum mate, Im sure your enthusiasm will pay the dividends and for the peacocks.
Good Luck.
Cheers Steve :D

Here's a pic of the spot, with several specks being found above the rock bar.
Next trip, I'll have a go at the pool below the bar. With success above, there should hopefully be some bigger pickers below?
Here's hoping...
1419923341_river.jpg

Tricky Dick said:
Hi again,
I was also chatting to an Uncle over Christmas drinks that i knew was into detecting a while ago.
He approved of my locations as being known for gold bearing country and reckoned I'd do better with a MD compared to the yabby pump and pans that I was using.
It just so happens he's got an old Minelab SD 2000 sitting in his shed, which he's happy to lend to me!

So, what thoughts do others have about which way to go: panning or detecting?
TD

For me it's panning hands down. I put my detector up on the shelf a couple of years ago cos i got feed up with the long drives and coming back empty handed. Now i got plenty of metal just the wrong sort!! :mad: ................ on the other hand when it comes to panning I've never not found colour. :)

Hi there Tricky.
You're looking in the right spots n doing the right things. Time, practice n patience.

It's not real good gold detecting ground here. Nuggets have been found according to old documents though.
Panning/sluicing will get you more consistent colour but (little as it may be...) just keep adding it to ya jar.

Look at old mining/geological maps & go over the areas the old timers did.
The challenge of getting to some of these places is half the fun & it's cool to see the remains of all the hard work they did. They had it tough...

I'm happy to chat to anyone whilst out panning...

Cheers n good luck out there.

Re: your photo.
Looks a nice spot. Yeah, below that bar should be good. If you find good colour there I'd have a go at moving that huge boulder if it's seperate from the bedrock & clean out under n around it.
Crowbar, bottle jack, turfor winch?

Thanks Agman,
I took a crow bar to that big sucker - it's not goin' anywhere soon.
But I reckon I can get right under it to get as much as possible?
Cheers
TD

G'day TD. That's a nice area that I visit often. I don't think its that good for detecting but panning and sluicing will give you consistent gold. There are few members that live that way and are very helpful. I have seen a small nugget that one of my friends found in his pan recently so anything is possible.
I am also happy to chat when I am out prospecting. Good luck mate and looking forward to some more pics of your finds. :)

Latest posts