Newbie Checking In

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon fellow detectors,

Ungybungyboh (Steve) reporting for detector duties.

I am very new to the hobby, just picked up my Xterra 305 earlier this week with 18.75 6" coil and Minelab Pro-Find pointer. I had been thinking about getting into the detecting for a few years now, but never did anything about it, that all changed last week when I got bored at work and went online shopping :)

I am currently based on the Lower North Shore of Sydney and plan on hitting a few of the local beaches n parks (and some historic sites) to see what I can find with my new toy, love being outside in general and always loved the thrill of a hunt as such, who doesn't like hidden treasure? I did hit beach evening I got detector for 45min to sort out settings and have a play, managed to find a $1 coin, was pretty stoked.....just a few hundred more to go to break even ;)

I am a mid to late 30's bloke who works in IT security for a living.

I will eventually head out into the sticks and look for the nuggets (Dad lives in Bendigo) , but in the meantime, want to sharpen the skills with some coin and jewelry hunting (pretty sure these North shore types like their bling, and do manage to lose it occasionally, I will be a conscientious detector and turn in valuable newish looking finds to police) but if its old n dirty and 6 inches down, finders keepers (that's how it works yeah?)

If there are any locals about who wouldn't mind someone tagging along on their next hunt, would love to come along and learn some of the tips n tricks if possible.

Keep detecting

Ungybungyboh (Steve)

Hi (Ungybungyboh) Steve. Welcome your sure to find the odd Rolex out there. I 've heard that they even wash the sand so that the locals don't let the the salt affect their bathers. Ha ha!!
Glad to have you on board mate and happy hunting.
Jack

Welcome to the forum Steve. Getting bored at work and online shopping generally leads to a regrettable experience. :| Fortunately you made a wise decision on this occasion, with a new detector in hand and a great forum to browse when next you get bored at work, is what we call a win / win situation.

Best of luck with the beach combing and hope some great treasure comes your way.

Cheers Wal.

Gday Steve, welcome abroad! Hey at least you got your hands on $1! I am still trying to hit anything with a detector really apart from rust! I gotta get my feet out the creek one day!

You will definitely know the difference between someones lost wedding ring from a 1800 gold catholic cross yes. But if in any doubt, you can hand it in and most likely if it is just a lost relic, you will end up having it returned to you. Also, posting your finds on the forum will give you a lot of information with unsure items as well.

Get your nose into some relic, detecting, stage coach and bushranger stories, books and youtube vids on your local area, and you will get a heap of knowledge at what and where to start looking about with your detector.

Welcome and good luck, the Sydney basin is covered in gold coins, you just need to turn left (or right) out of the driveway.

There is plenty of history left in the ground so I have no doubt you will be picking up all sorts of things in the coming months. It is a great way to hone your skills prior to hitting Bendigo.

Thanks for the warm welcome gents, greatly appreciated.

In regards to the name, yes there is a story behind it, but it involves drunken teenage antics with great mates (too this day) back in the old town, it would bore you and is not really that interesting, its just a phrase/saying that stuck with me and came to my mind one day after many years.

I can also vouch for the fact they do wash the sand over this way :) , it always looks super white n clean, which will be awesome for minimal trash detections.

Not only did I find $1 on my first test run, I found half a can and a Steel/Iron 3ft buried sign post laying horizontally in middle of beach path, was going to leave it as I figured it was trash the signals it was giving, but got curious and wanted a peak at what it was :)

As for relic hunting and history, that is also right up my alley, I have always been a bit of a history geek and am actually 7th generation Australian (2nd fleet convict stock) and am related to Ben Hall, the Bushranger. So yes, I would love to find some old school Australian history relics and start a collection..

and I have a perfect spot (i hope it hasnt been cleaned too much) I am going to start on that is local, it also has awesome views, so a pleasant stroll for the afternoon.

Thanks again for the welcome and I will be sure to keep you all updated on any finds..

Cheers
Ungy

Hey ungy and welcome. There's heaps of info on here, you'll find yourself up till all hours reading different topics. 8)

I'm on the northen beaches in Sydney too and am looking to go on a hunt more the yellow stuff but am keen to do a bit of relic hunting to get my fix lol.

What beaches do you check out???

Gday KusKus,

Only just starting out and have only hit my local beach across road from my house so far, but intend on giving Balmoral and Manly a run at some stage and a few of the parks in the area. Also have a spot in mind for some relic hunting, going to do some further research on area today and see if I can find some old maps of building layouts etc, can tag along if you like.

I do have a question for you all..

I have 2 coils for my 305...the standard ML 9" CC 7.5 and a ML 6" DD 18.75. I was going to get a coiltek, but could only find water resitant ones, wanted waterproof.

Reading the Ebook on the xterra, he advises if you have to GB 6 or under on the 305, use the 18.75..Now my GB on local beach was 5-6, only thing is, the 18.75 is tiny :p Meaning a lot less coverage and a lot more sweeping needed.

Have any of you used these two coils? Is there a huge difference between the two besides better operation on TID with 18.75?

Which coil would be best for relic hunting? Bushland setting?

From my understanding either coil will still detect target on beach be it a gold/silver ring or $1 coin?

On the xterras, I am pretty sure you cannot run any other coils than those designed for xterras. I run an xterra 70 alongside my GPX4500 and I am 100% sure I can only run xterra coils. I do not use the CC coil, it cannot handle mineralised soils in any way. I run the 10 x 5 DD and it too struggles with any mineralised soils but is ok on quartz and very quite mullock (tailings). I do not do beaches and parks, so cant help you there. to confirm the coil issue, speak to one of the minelab dealers. good luck.

Count me in ungybungyboh, just let me know when your keen and I'll come and meet ya. I'm in Forestville so close by only need a few minutes warning. :D

Gday kuskus, was actually going to hit locals tmrw, can't figure out how to pm you with my deets.

Cant seem to PM yet Kus, just upgraded account, will see if I can PM you some details in morning...want to save you some $ in parking if you dont mind a wee little hill :)

Plan on going out tomorrow and Sunday...I have new toys, I want to play with them :)

FYI, spoke to a friend tonight...have permission to detect one of the oldest properties on the north shore :)

But we wont be doing that tomorrow...I want to sharpen my skills before I hit that opportunity.

That's awesome, tomorrow I'm a bit busy but Sunday I'm defently down for a couple of hours.

Although.....hope you mean afternoon? Footy final is on tomorrow and I have a piss up to attend (dont really follow any codes anymore but meh) so lunch/arvo would be best sunday :) you know what i mean (nudge nudge)

I am hesitant to post too much in public forum.....security IT guy in me...

MODS?????

How do we PM?

Latest posts