Newbie central qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day guys,
Brand new to all this fossicking, I don't have a metal detector but been have been panning around the calliope area in centrel Queensland, My whole phase started when laying water mains in the area and digging into old shafts and then an old timer (looked 130) stopped in and asked if he could metal detect all the green stone we where excavating out, he then went on to tell stories of hundreds of Chinese diggers flocking to the area in 1860 with the findings of gold. Done a bit of research and have found alot out! Shafts that run under the town to a map of calliope goldfield in 1860. I know next to nothing about rocks haha but iv read old reports of "reefs" with all these rock names and where they got the gold from, its hard to interrupt the area then to now,On Friday we were digging a trench and hit a
Large hard vein, it hard crumbly black stone around 2inch wide that had green tinge to it when held to the sun,then a solid hard as hard could be white vein around 4inchs that looked crystaly the backo had troubles breaking it was that hard, then back to a thin laying of the black/greeny stuff then back to easy digging.. I grabbed abit just out of curiosity if anyone could help me out on what type of rock it is? Might be able to make more since of the map and if its in the right area.
Found a small fleck of gold panning in a creek and was stocked.. Even when I lost the bit of sticky tape I used to stick it to haha like I said.. Brand new to it :) any help on panning where to look and so on or any one that knows that area any information would be greeted with open arms :)
Cheers nath

1392512027_image.jpg

1392512256_image.jpg

1392512319_image.jpg

Welcome to the forum Nath. You've got a great job there mate, as many of us wish we had the chance to run an excavator within a gold bearing area and actually get paid for it, rather than risk a huge fine.

I'd certainly have a gold pan behind my seat and sample anything dug up that has "greenstone" related minerals showing. Especially if there's any alluvial gravel close bye.

The forum has many experienced members on board, and some well directed questions may open some great insight to your region.

Hope you find the forum of benefit to the hobby and look forward to many more pics and reports from your adventuers.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts