New Zealand Fossicking / Prospecting information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
I'm interested in how things are with recreational gold mining in southern New Zealand? I'm from Europe and I think next year we go with my wife on holiday there. We think to stay about a month and I am interested what rights I have as a foreigner to recreational gold mining? Can I wash with dredge or just sluice or a pan only? I would appreciate any information.
Thanks.

http://www.nzpam.govt.nz/cms/permits/minerals/types
New Zealand Petroleum & Minerals issues permits to prospect, explore and mine minerals.
These permits are defined in the Crown Minerals Act 1991 and the Minerals Programme for Minerals 2013.
Minerals permits are classified as Tier 1 or Tier 2 - read more about the different classifications.
Permits do not give the permit holder automatic rights to access the permit area. Generally for exploration and mining activities, permit holders must arrange land access with the landowner and occupier. For minimum impact activity, 10 days' notice is required (except over special classes of land, such as urban conservation land)

Prospecting permits:
Prospecting permits give the permit holder the right to prospect for specified minerals. Allowed activities are very low-impact, such as literature searches, geological mapping, hand sampling, offshore sampling (by low-impact mechanical methods), or aerial surveys.
Generally onshore permits are no larger than 500 square kilometres, and offshore permits have a maximum area of 5,000 square kilometres. Permits are normally granted for two years. An extension for up to half the permit area can be granted for two years and this can be extended up to a total of four years from the permit commencement date.
Permits are granted to the first acceptable work programme. They are normally exclusive (unless a non-exclusive permit is requested).

Try having a look at this link ghost it will be a good place to start but I don't think it will help you with dredging... good luck on the adventure :cool:

Thank you very much for the information. But can you tell me succinctly will I be able to flush a pan as an amateur.

I had to look up the definition of (succinctly) :lol: and I don't honestly think I can give you the correct answer as in can you flush a pan, it does appear new Zealand have stricter guidelines than in Australia, possibly give the department in the link above an email and ask them about your intension otherwise a member on this forum that is more experienced in this area maybe able to shed some light on query .. regards greencheeks ..

thanks for the reply. If there is someone who is from New Zealand and decided to explain you here in the topic can and personal message.

Hey all,
Haven't been on for quite some time however I am seeking any info relating to detecting the south island of nz.
Is it a pain in the ass to bring the gpz on the plane? I understand they are funny re batteries.
Does the weather allow for prospecting in august being their snow season?
Thought I would ask the question here incase anyone has been lucky enough to swing over there.
Also we will be in a motorhome and the misses isnt keen on it like myself so I'll be lucky to get an arvo set aside for prospecting however I figured whilst I'm there I would be silly not to have a poke around.
Here's a quarter oz from a few weeks back.
1530058086_20180627_100605.jpg

Hi Walshie,

I follow detectorprospector forum pretty closely and a member called kiwijw (John Wilson) is always heading out detecting and gets lots of little bits of yellow. He has got bigger bits over the years but he's regular haunts are only giving up smaller bits now.

He has used many PI's/VLF's but now mostly uses a GPZ and a monster. Worth going to the forum and having a look at his posts. He would post a trip report almost fortnightly and the pics he takes of the surrounding countryside are incredible.

He also talks about conditions, snow, seasons, rugged terrain, different localities, the amount of lead shot he finds, etc. You will probably learn most of what you want to know from reading his trip reports.

My gut feeling is that the hassle of taking your Z may not be worth it for the potential finds, the remote localities you may need to walk into and the amount of time you are going to be 'allowed' to swing the 'tector :eek:

John is a very forthcoming fella and will write essays in response to questions to him. You could do worse things than joining up and shooting him a PM. Or I could ask him if you can shoot him an email?

NZ still allows dredges am I right ?

I saw a guy with a trommel and excavator who got $250,000 worth of gold near , or on the grey river (40 years ago).

And old timers who would live in the bush and pan the black sand on the beaches on the west coast to keep them in food and rum .

Both of those spots were South Island which I imagine would be harsh in winter.

Detecting ? I wouldnt have a clue.

I took my 4500 to the Queenstown area last year. There are some fossicking areas on the nz mining sites and other areas not mentioned. I would do it again the beauty in the high country is incredible .i found coins and a ton of trash ,take some bushmans (Sandflies are legendary).kiwis can legally dredge and pan most places the locals reckon. I was Camping at Arrowtown for a while ,can you survive on lamb Shanks and Pinot noir?.Found two greenstone colours rocks ( smooth sound)about 5to10 centimetres long with a band of quartz going though them and left them bye the creek to pickup on the way back( no pack) . I came back down the creek about 2 hours later and there's a kiwi bloke with a sluice working and my targets somewhere in the dammed creek( True Story).Good Luck

Thanks for the info guys. I think the detector is going to stay at home now. Going to do a day or two on the snow instead. I might look into hiring a stick to swing around if I get the chance. See how I go.
Thanks again guys

walshie1000 said:
Thanks for the info guys. I think the detector is going to stay at home now. Going to do a day or two on the snow instead. I might look into hiring a stick to swing around if I get the chance. See how I go.
Thanks again guys

Kiwi JW is a heck of a nice bloke so why not contact him on Steve's forum coz he might even rent or loan you a detector, thrash out the details with him and if you have to just take your own coils ? He has a heap of detectors.

J.

My feeling is that you go there for the surroundings - the west coast (eg Reefton, Ross River etc) is hell to battle through the bush (exploration companies lower samplers on cables from helicopters to get samples). Further east is easier but much is restricted - DOC is not very friendly. Batteries - most will carry Li ion batteries up to 80 wH in the cabin but only with prior arrangement (eg Qantas "Special Handling" department). I have had trouble when a QF flight is actually another carrier. despite having Qantas permission. Just too much hassle.

I don't know if this is a little late and you have already left but you could always put a pan in your luggage. It might be way too cold in August to pan but it is another option. You have probably found this site yourself, but if not, here are a few sites to consider. Some have camping.

http://www.paydirt.co.nz/locations/public-gold-fossicking-areas

I will be there in December and was considering doing some panning around Franz Josef. Has anyone tried their luck there? I might get lucky after the melt.

Latest posts