New too prospecting and need some help !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNug

Joel
Reaction score
Thanks for taking your time to view my topic !

It all started when my mum and her friends went down too the creek with 1 big waterfall. Down the stream from the fall are rocks that are buried in the ground yet make their way up out of the water... Any way. My mothers friend ended up putting her hand under the rocks that had water gushing over them and pulled out smaller rocks etc... In her hand was a rock out of a few that had a so called "Strip of gold/Line of gold" embedded in the rock. She than said to my mother "see that bright line of yellow?" "that's gold !". After hearing what my mother said I went down too the creek/river and started panning above the waterfall, down the stream 100 meters on the banks, digging out high banks/benches (where the water flows for a while leaving gold deposits in the walls ect). I even tried looking for pay streaks ! (particularly after storms when water is gushing harder than normal causing heavier gold to accumulate at the inside bends of creeks, which it did storm about 5-6 days ago). I am in the 2480 area of Australia, NSW (Lismore/Corndale). Also I dug into the high banks of the creek/river and about 4 to 5 inches into the dirt there was red, black and yellow/orange clay like spots (separately apart). Is this some sort of "iron rich" area ? To whoever reads this topic what do you think about gold being around here ? (While panning in all the different spots every single "pan" ended up with the clear shiny particles in the very bottom... as well as tiny bits of black particles. Didn't look like black sand though.) Are these tiny shiny particles a sign that precious metals are about ?
Where I live is full of red dirt.

Kind Regards
Joel ! :)

Also ! every fourth rock you looked at had erosion and holes all through them ?

Welcome aboard BigNug,

looks like you need some gear, I think you have the determination and the location! Good luck, be good to see some pics of your finds.

Cheers, Tone

Welcome to the forum Joel. I'm not sure how far out of Lismore you are, but the nearest gold i know of is in the Drake area. Some quite reasonable gold came from here in the 1860's. The Lismore region is surrounded by huge granite belts and the clear shiny flakes your getting in your pan are quite likely mica eroded from the granites.

If you get a chance next time your out, take a pic and upload it to the forum and the guys may be able to identify it better. Hope you get a lot of info by browsing the forum posts and look forward to sharing your adventures, best of luck out there,

Cheers Wal.

Much appreciated fellas !

I took photo's with my smartphone but they are too large for upload.
Tomorrow is a new day any how. I am looking for a cheap but reliable and efficient detector ! Any ideas on a suitable detector for the far north coast scenario would be much appreciated.

Regards
Joel

hi mate and welcome! Depending on the mineralization in that area ( i wouldnt know as ive only dealt with QLD and WA dirt) i would suggest a detector along the lines of the minelab x-terra 705. They are quite a nifty "VLF" detector that perform well and have a few waterproof coils to nugget shoot in the creeks. The only downfall is that they dont handle the mineralization as well as they claim. Im a big supporter of minelab detectors and all are fairly reliable machines and all have found gold. The older sd and gp models "pulse inducted" perform well and are relatively inexpensive now.
Best of luck in your ventures mate and keep up the persistence and youll be sure to pick up something!

1373949122_mineral_photo.jpg

1373949226_img_1922.jpg

1373949286_bedrock_creek.jpg

I hope these photos work. It shows the mineralised ground, the bedrock I have been panning out and either clay or iron of some sort that was spread through out divots and cracks of the bedrock.

Much Appreciated
Joel

Latest posts