New To WA.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quoka

jamie
Reaction score
Hi, My name is jamie.
I'm originally from NSW, and started prospecting around 2007 with an xterra 30. Its been a great little machine to learn on and get the feel for all the different noise's and settings that this model produced. I used this machine on beach's and parks around Sydney where i lived in the Sutherland Shire area. It has found many coins, rings and strange items from yester years ago. I became pretty good at finding coin on beaches and where coins end up in cutters on the beach over time. $1 & $2 coins don't last long in the salt these days but there are many out there. I think i paid around $600 for this machine at the time brand new and it paid it self of within the first summer. I must say i was keen going down the beach every 3rd day even in the rain and wind when no one is around so i could grid my area.I didn't like detecting around the masses to much.(people dont like it much there) Anyway On one afternoon a man came running at me, at first i was a bit surprised by his anxiety, he asked if i could help him because he lost the wedding ring,sure i said. He took me to the area where he was sitting with his mate enjoying a few i think, anyway a good noise sounded from the xterra i checked the number on the pannel and new it was good jewellery, i couldnt believe him and his mates started frantically digging in that spot. lol. i said mate you wont find it, it will just keep moving in the soft sand, wait untill i have it in my scoop, he rewarded me with a $20.Nice Guy. Actually the coins alone paid for the machine, my best find was a indian looking yellow gold with 5 diamond ring and that was just before dark and on a flat battery, i couldn't believe it.
I had joined a detecting club in the Rockdale area and meet some very interesting chaps doing the same as me and gained experience from a gentleman who prospect parks and reserves of Sydney, this guy knew his stuff and had a bucket of pennies to prove it. I hope his well today.
Anyway today i moved to WA as the Sydney house price became a little to much for me at this stage, ive been here 2.5 years and relize that things are a little different here down at the beach compared to the East, So i'm keen on trying the goldfields and going bush with a Gpx5000, i think at this stage. Ive started my research on the old and new patches and about to join the APLA and go to the first meeting.

Thankyou and happy hole digs.

Welcome to the forum Quokka, you almost need to be a millionaire to live in Sydney these days, either that or be in debt for the rest of your life. God luck on your search for gold. :)

Quoka,

Welcome to the mad house....lol,
Lots of info and some very knowable folk on here.......
Good move joining APLA as the membership helps open a few doors....
I think the first meeting for the Perth branch is next Wednesday night ....

Research wise get your head around the DMP website....
Tengraph, Geo view and Geo Map...
Geo view has an app for Android and APPLE downloadable from the DMP site
JUST A MATTER OF FINDING IT .....

Hope this helps......

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Latest posts