New to the hobby from Melbourne.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.
My son (11 years old) has been at me to buy a detector so he can try his luck in the Golden Triangle. I purchased a SD2000 today from a gentleman who used to hunt in Wedderburn, and we will be heading to The Ballarat area on Saturdays as weather permits. Its a great opportunity for me to spend time with my son, and who knows, perhaps catch the fever!

Ive seen quite a bit of information on this forum so far, and Ill keep on researching where to visit. I think we will try Paddys Ranges South of the dam first, unless anyone can recommend a better starting point.

Thanks.
Frank. :)

Thanks Jaros.
A bit of luck early on will mean my son wont lose interest, so my research is important.
Cheers.

Franco said:
Thanks Jaros.
A bit of luck early on will mean my son wont lose interest, so my research is important.
Cheers.
Gday Franco. 80/20 rule. Research and then more research , watch videos and read as much as you can. Then you will give your self a chance. See if you can buy a little sub gram nugget to test your new purchase. learn the different sounds. Helpful is to join a club and learn from the oldies, it pays off. Good luck. Mark

Welcome Franco.
I agree 100% with Ward69.
Team up with someone experienced (there are many in your area), and they can, in one day, teach you what would normally take a year (mapping, geology, ground signs, vegetation, detecting & recovery styles etc etc).
Without this, many take 6 months+ to find their first gold, and risk losing interest.
Once you have that first nugget, then you're all hooked :goldnugget:

Thank you Ward69 and BigWave. I am certainly using GeoVic and watching youtube more than my kids at the moment (which is no mean feat!)
I definitely will source a club too. Great excuse to have a chat, learn, and pickup some essential skills.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

Latest posts