New To Prospecting - Grey Nomads

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are only about to start our grey nomad adventures and want to get into prospecting. Any advice we could get would be appreciated.

- We are based in Sydney, For weekend trips to get started in prospecting what area would be good ?

- Should we invest in a detector or just hire one to get started ?

- Any ideas on a club that would be good to join ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil and Lisa

Welcome Phil and Lisa. It's always good to have a few test runs. Yes renting a few different detectors will help you pick which one suits your needs and have a good read of all the sections of interest to you and try them out..
Good luck. :Y:

Welcome - what part of Sydney are you from? You might be lucky enough to have someone around the corner to have a coffee with you and share their wealth of knowledge.

I will suggest, as an immediate fix, do a search on this site for Hill End, Black Sptings, Ophir, Sofala or Nundle. If the amount of info doesn't overwhelm you to the point that you will just need to jump in your vehicle and head out of town, I will be surprised.

Good luck with your adventures.

Welcome,

There are a number of places you can get to for a weekend away from Sydney, the only problem at the moment is that it is cold. The areas mentioned by Wally69 are all worth looking at.

While there are places to hire detectors, they are getting harder to find. There are gold tours up around Mudgee. If you contact Central West Prospecting Supplies they can provide the number of the people running them. I believe that the tour operator can provide a detector for hire, which will also include training. They have access to private property as well.

The staff at Central West Prospecting Supplies are also very helpful with detectors and other prospecting equipment. While I live in Sydney and visit the Detector Den in Parramatta often, I usually stop in at the Central West Prospecting Supplies Shop when in Mudgee.

Once you have 10 + posts, you can Private Message me, if you wish

Best of luck.

Latest posts