New Melbournian member.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Im a Melbournian living in the Norther suburbs.
Prospecting is something Ive been meaning to do for years but never had the time to start.

I just purchased a basic set of tools comprising of a Bag, Pan, classifier, shovel and suck bottle thing.
I went on my first prospecting trip the other week after watch a stack of videos online on how to find and pan for gold.
I decided to take a trip to Reedy Creek, but when I got to my planed location there was not a drop of water to be seen. Without any water my plans just when up in smoke so I drive from creek to creek trying to find a place to pan but didnt find anything.

Its frustrating when looking for a place to prospect and the maps you are using indicate you can, but when you get to the locating it have been fenced off and you cant get in.

That was my first trip out and even though I didnt see colour or water, I still had a good day out.

Btw, this is my first ever forum I have joined and it nerve-racking for me :8

Welcome. May be a good idea to also ask the good folk on this forum regarding conditions and planned site access, before heading out, until you get a bit more experience. Having a good time while out there means more to me than getting rich as I don't expect that to happen.

Rob P

Welcome slackaboy
Im a newbie to this forum as well. I have found most people here to be a friendly bunch and willing to answer our questions.

Good luck finding some gold in the future :)

Welcome Slackaboy, this is the first forum I've ever been on too, there's nothing to be nervous about tho, there are great people here ready to help you out, even if you think a question is stupid, ask anyway folks will try and answer it, oh and it's OK to post photos upside down and sideways when your learning to navigate the forum, people are patient with beginners (thankgod) O:) :8 :p
You're Guaranteed to learn, laugh, share, meet folks and enjoy PA. Welcome to a great hobby and yes it can be frustrating too.

G'day Slakaboy welcome to PA now your on this great forum if your heading out just ask for the conditions of where your going and someone should be able to give you a heads up. Get your 10 post's up and the members section will reveal itself for you. There's a planned meet up for the Labour day weekend which you'd be more than welcome to come along, great people to learn from and enjoy company with like minded people.

Howdy Slackaboy, no water ... too much water ... too hot ... too cold ... not enough gold ... too much gold ... (like that'll ever happen), yer there's always something to overcome. Some of us expand our options by going detecting as well as panning, so maybe in time you could buy a detector and have a go when there's no water!

1519570820_welcome14.jpg

Latest posts