New kid on the block

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all..

Thought I would join and get some inside info ;)

I have been religiously watching tv shows like Gold Rush Alaska, Bering Sea, Ice cold gold, and most recently Prospectors...

All great shows and iv come to the realisation that I want to get out in the open air, and do a bit of prospecting..

I have been once before with my Metal detector, didn't find anything but a possible meteorite, which im having tested as I write this so fingers crossed.

I do have a miners right which I paid for..

I just want to find some locations near melbourne I can go and prospect for minerals. Id like to look for minerals and crystals etc.. without the detector...

Catch you all in the forums..

Cheer !!

Hi Gimmeplease,
Welcome to the forum. Nice to get out of built up areas and have some fun. your in the right area for a few options. I hope to get to Vic over the next month or 2 as it has heaps to offer.

Best of luck

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi Cliff..

Thanks for responding..

After doing a bit of research I have found the following that are all under 1hr drive from melbourne CBD

Found the following at this website energyandresources (cant post links yet)

Steiglitz Historic Park
Warrandyte State Park

Gemstone fossicking only
Cape Schanck Coastal Park

I think I will try these places first..

Cheers

Julien

Welcome to the forum Julien. Prospecting is a great excuse to get out of the big smoke, and a fantastic stress reliever. The anticipation of that next gemstone or flake of gold will always take the mind off work related headaches and soothe the inquisitive mind.

I'm sure that by joining the forum you will gain a lot of valuable information to set you on the right track with the hobby.

All the very best of luck with it,

Cheers Wal.

Welcome to the forum Juilien, i'm new also - the people here are just fantastic, a really good community.

By the way

Just got an email back from the victorian museum about my meteorite and it turned out to be a chunk of concrete mixed with iron.. So weird cause i honestly found it in the middle of the gold fields of Bendigo and I trekked 1 or 2 km into bush land to dig... how the hell did concrete get out there ??

it had a strong magnetic force, passed the scrape test on the underside of coffee cup :p

oh well upward and onwards

Maybe the meteorite took out a few besa brick buildings on the way through to its location. :lol: Nevermind, sure there's lots to find out there still, and welcome. :)

gimmeplease said:
By the way

Just got an email back from the victorian museum about my meteorite and it turned out to be a chunk of concrete mixed with iron.. So weird cause i honestly found it in the middle of the gold fields of Bendigo and I trekked 1 or 2 km into bush land to dig... how the hell did concrete get out there ??

it had a strong magnetic force, passed the scrape test on the underside of coffee cup :p

oh well upward and onwards
G' day gimmeplease,
Welcome. It could be part of the nuclear reactor from Japland, it went off with a mighty big bang and that would explain the radiation not magnetic force. :lol:
:) Mick

Latest posts