New England Tin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday.
Just wondering if anyone has some tin nugget from the Glen Innes area they would like to sell.
Thanks.

bit rare to see someone after Tin nuggets! :eek:
There is a Tin mine in the S/West here not too far from where I live. As the story goes they were picking up black Tin pebbles (alluvial cassiterite) all over the palce when it was discovered in 1881.
I dont have any Tin nuggets, but I do have a couple of large ingots of pure Tin (I used to cast a lot of my own rifle projectiles)
ps, the mine produces Lithium (Spodumene) & Tantalum these days, & Tin is a by-product
good luck in your search Joe

DED

JoeSharman said:
Gday.
Just wondering if anyone has some tin nugget from the Glen Innes area they would like to sell.
Thanks.

There's no such thing as a "tin nugget". Tin does not occur naturally in metallic form, it is usually refined from the mineral cassiterite which is tin dioxide.
Wikipedia said:
Tin does not occur as the native element but must be extracted from various ores. Cassiterite (SnO2) is the only commercially important source of tin, although small quantities of tin are recovered from complex sulfides such as stannite, cylindrite, franckeite, canfieldite, and teallite. Minerals with tin are almost always associated with granite rock, usually at a level of 1% tin oxide content

Cassiterite can be reduced to metallic Tin by roasting with charcoal. I have found that mixing it with Bicarb Soda helps produce reduce it to the metal.

Latest posts