Nerrigundah Gold Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally69

Paul
Reaction score
I am heading to a wedding in Victoria and will be stopping in Narooma for a few days with the family next week.

I see Nerrigundah goldfields are closeby and would like to get an idea of the type of detectable gold that this field has produced.

As I have a SDC, size, type and depth has a big impact on success. I have maps and can see reef mines, alluvial workings but am coming up short on nugget type.

My thoughts are currently focussed on; are the alluvials small/fine and are there specimens shedding from the hills or mixed in with the aluvial workings and are there any sizeable nuggets on the hillslopes?

Any first or second hand experiences of this goldfield would be appreciated. :cool:

Hey mate I drove through a few of the tracks on my way home from bega a few weeks back, didn't so any detecting just went to quickly look around a bit.
A lot of the tracks are quite overgrown and the scrub is quite dense so snakes will be plentifull now it's warming up.

Have you got that Google Earth overlay that I'm using yet mate? Quite a bit of info in the deposit points on gold types, not all the points mention type but quite a few do.

Eg: Commodities
Au MAJOR
Current Resource Estimates
---
Production
Period: Unknown Period 0 Categ:Estimated Production
Au: 0.239301t Produced,
Minerals
Gold major ore
Mineralisation Style
Disseminated
Host Rock
Ungrouped Cenozoic Sedimentary Units (sand) Beach (Quaternary -> Quaternary)
Ungrouped Cenozoic Sedimentary Units (gravel) Unsorted Fluvial Gravels (Cenozoic -> Cenozoic)
Relation to Host
---
Alteration
---
Ore Texture
---
Placer
Rounded Shape
Angular Shape
Flakes Size
Classification
placer - Au dominated (fossil) Broken Hill or Other Classification
fossil placer (fluvial) General geological model mechanical
AuAg eluvial/alluvial/deep lead NSW Deposit Type Classfication mechanical

:D

Google-smoozzle.........it does my head in. :mad: I tried to update the Garmin so I could add the mines info but it tried to extort money from me every time I clicked a button. Ended up with a copy of the State Forrests map that has mine locations on it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it sounds like the gold mainly has a rounded alluvial shape to it. Would still love to see some native slugs so I can dream about it. :p

I thought a smart fella like yerself would have no worries with it. :)

I checked a few of the other areas nearby and there are all typers of deposits, deep leads, reefs, sulphide. If you can get to any of the placer deposits there should be flakes and nuggets........ hopefully.

To be honest Heath, I tend to exclusively use my iPad thesedays.

I'll have to kick the boys off the PC and get my shite together. :8

Yes mate wield some authority over that PC, it's annoying that there isn't a propper version of GE for mobile devices yet that can run the overlay.

Wally with an outfit like yours, you should find some gold at Nerragundah - it does produce nuggiitty gold.

Nerrigundah does produce a few specimens that you should be aware of.
1. Rabid Greenies.
2. Bloody Snakes.
3. Ticks.
4. Mozzies.
Apart from those few pesky little annoyances, If you find a good patch, You will do very well. :D :D :D :D

And after it rains, You can pan Gold from the gutters in the sides of the road coming into the old town just before the monument.
It is true, I have seen it myself. :D :D
Locals get a wee bit upset big time if you get caught. :eek:

Now that would be a sight to see, we might need to watch the forecast and set up a PA meet at the local K&G :D

Thanks for the feedback, I am keen to give the SDC a run to get the dust off it. :p The family will be in tow, so I am hoping a bit of lady-luck by my side rubs off before their patience does. ;)

Last family detecting trip the Mrs walked me straight onto a nugget so I have very high expectations. Unfortunately the resulting high that would keep me going for days, kept them keen fo 20 minutes. :rolleyes: I might have to buy her a new book to read......one of those really thick ones. :lol:

Wally69 said:
I might have to buy her a new book to read......one of those really thick ones. :lol:

Put a Kindle app on her smartphone and you can give her so much to read, it might just blow both your minds! I have hundreds of books on my Kindle devices (phone, PC and an actual Kindle). :)

Cheers,
David
(aka gedanate)

Latest posts