Need help in panning NEW TO PANNING

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for those books Pipeclay, I have printed them off and will read them as soon as I can.

I am in the middle of reading Ion Idriess' "Prospecting for Gold". What an amazing read. It has definitely opened up a whole heap of new ways and ideas to get the most out of gold bearing ground. All I want to do know is get out there at my spot for a week and go to town, hand sliuce the section of creek bed and find my first ounce....oh I wish it was that easy :D

Cheers,

Ion Idriess' "Prospecting for Gold" Yes this would be the book I would recommend any one new to Alluvial Prospecting to read. Good choice of book MJB.

My Advice is as follows
Once a basic knowledge is gained by the new hand they will soon be able to see what is right and what is wrong. With so much information floating around on the net it is almost impossible for them to know if what they are been told is right. Hence the need to go back to basics and work out from there. This is only my view on the subject, but what good is knowledge if it is not understood.

Sage advice Pipeclay,

To a 'New Chum' like me the best way to learn is through reading and hopefully most of what we read is true and correct. I find reading the older books very beneficial as they are our only link to the old timers knowledge....without it much of their know-how would be lost. The other thing handy to a 'New Chum' is one on one time spent with a much more experienced prospector as there are just some things that cannot be read to be understood. Judging by your Avatar Pipeclay, I would classify you as one of these experienced fellas that I for one would like to spend some time in the field with, tapping your brain for the info I seek.

Thanks for the info mate,

Cheers,

It's amazing how a little nugget of info comes out or the same concept explained a different way can enlighten us to better prospecting. A kick around with a few old timers when I get the chance (obv not the original ones) the ones that can remember times past, but they are pretty cagey at times at what they will impart. There's one guy I try and visit when I'm around that wasa friend of my grandad and all you get from him is "your doing it wrong" or silence when your technique is solid. Quite often he'll cackle away at me but I tell you if he does share something it's a winner. His favorite line for me is "if enthusiasm was as productive as skill you'd do OK". You have to take that on the chin from a bloke that can go Bush for a day and come home with a half ounce. Probably finds more ina year than I would in a lifetime.

thank you everyone for all your help, i have read all the papers you have suggested to me and i will be reading them all over again the videos gold fever are downloading as we speak so ill be watching them in the morning this has been a great help everyone and i hope to see you all out there soon even if it is with our bare hands hope not.
Habeen

MJB,, G/T.. All in what you & G/T have stated is so true, mate your on the right track and will get there very soon. In this game there are no short cuts and the hard yards must be run. That avatar photo of mine is of a yearly take I have quite a few of those types of photos on a USB stick somewhere. MJB You would be welcome in my camp anytime H/Been your on the right track been on this site.

Just a photo for inspiration.

Close-up of avatar photo.

1404170689_786_large.jpg

Wow...I'm inspired.

That pan being a Super Sluice makes it even more impressive...I know how big the bottom of those pans are. I'm drooling :D

Thanks Pipeclay, I may take you up on your offer of hospitality.

Cheers,

PipeclayJim said:
MJB,, G/T.. All in what you & G/T have stated is so true, mate your on the right track and will get there very soon. In this game there are no short cuts and the hard yards must be run. That avatar photo of mine is of a yearly take I have quite a few of those types of photos on a USB stick somewhere. MJB You would be welcome in my camp anytime H/Been your on the right track been on this site.

Just a photo for inspiration.

Close-up of avatar photo.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/744/1404170689_786_large.jpg

WOW PipeclayJim 8) 8) It looks like you learned really fast :cool:

How do?
New to the forum, I have been obsessed with gold, rocks and gems now for some time. All the post here are a little over whelming. I have read so much about where someone who is quite keen at prospecting should start. I have done a little panning / sluicing but would like to learn a lot more.

[Username has been changed to PipeclayJim]

Creekbed :)

Zig

Latest posts