Need help in panning NEW TO PANNING

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys,
looking into practicing a bit of river panning around Portland, Vic and was wondering if anyone would be interested to show me and the missus a few things. We got a blue bowl we built to take out and did have a sluice but was told today from a lady at DEPI in Warrnambool that the act of a sluice is no longer a practice in Victoria. So me and the wife are now trying to pan from a river to see if we get the hang of it. If you are interested let me know or akasha we are both from Portland so we really have no place locally to pan for gold but anything is better than not having a go. Thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon at some stage. FINALLY GOT OUR MINERS RIGHTS TODAY NOW KEEN ON THE LEARNING SIDE.

Hazbeen

Hazbeen said:
.... did have a sluice but was told today from a lady at DEPI in Warrnambool that the act of a sluice is no longer a practice in Victoria. ....

http://www.energyandresources.vic.g...requently-asked-questions-about-miners-rights

2. What is prospecting/fossicking?
Prospecting involves the use of metal detectors, hand tools, pans or simple sluices in the search for gold and gemstones.

I think the lady at the DEPI is misinformed, the greens are currently trying to get legislation brought in that would make them illegal but they are currently legal to use as far as I know

Yeah DEPI love to mis-inform, Heaps of stories of them saying that but it is 100% legal, plenty of threads on the forum covering it. Sluice away my friend. Cheers Balx

If you've searched the forum for panning techniques also try YouTube search, there's some great videos on there. Lead can be put in the pan to replace gold, also occasionally Ebay will have some good bearing wash up for sale.

If ever you read a book on prospecting it is this book that you should read. When you finish reading it then read it again. For an alluvial prospector the information within its pages is priceless. Below the link is a photo of a very early Walbanker.

PDF Book. Virgin gold how to win it.
Download link.
http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/85265

1403690440_walbanker_large.jpg

thanks guys for all the help we went out and found these yesterday for a couple of hours and we found these stones that are identical to the shape of gold nuggets but are silver and very shiny are these just nice looking gravel or are they something a little more? Ill try to clean them up as best i can and i will post them up if i can figure it out tomorrow arvo.
Hazbeen

Hazbeen said:
we found these stones that are identical to the shape of gold nuggets but are silver
Hazbeen

Gold is all kinds shapes I used to name my 1st few "Gertrude's Club, TC the great, and so on

picture TC the great found in less than .001 gram that's on the left I eBay the other :)

1388904755_img_1119.jpg

Gertrude's Club was the next .

1391328733_img_1131.jpg

Then there was 2 many for names :D

Bowerbird Hook was last can you see it :)

1400656095_p1010903.jpg

Hey Hazbeen,

I'm over in Mt Gambier, not too far from you. My go to spot is Ararat as that is the closest place I have found gold however there are old mines North of Casterton in the creeks heading up Balmoral way and over to Dergholm. I have not been there yet but I hear some colour can be panned in Steep Bank Rivulet which is probably about an hour away from you....just perfect for a day trip or short excursion.

let us know if you have any questions, Let us know if your keen to head to Ararat next time I go, always good to meet up with others.

Cheers

hi MJB,
i didnt know about that spot over at casterton way, in a fortnights time we are getting our metal detectors and im allowing 2 weeks for them to arrive so in 1 months time we can hit the the river in casterton or ararat if you like. my email address is *removed* email me anytime. Sounds like a good idea.
Hazbeen

No worries Hazbeen,

If you want to have a go with your detectors Ararat would be the go. PM me when you have them and we can organise something then. I can guarantee we will find some colour in your pan if we go panning and there is a good chance of finding a nugget with your detectors...but I can't guarantee that :D

Cheers,

PipeclayJim said:
If ever you read a book on prospecting it is this book that you should read. When you finish reading it then read it again. For an alluvial prospector the information within its pages is priceless. Below the link is a photo of a very early Walbanker.

PDF Book. Virgin gold how to win it.
Download link.
http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/85265

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/744/1403690440_walbanker_large.jpg

hey Pipeclay that's a great read thanks for sharing, I love this old style of content that gives a true honest interpretation in the day

Thanks digger, I have put up another two book links which will help the new chum no ends. The books are old that is true but the information within them never goes out of fashion and a great deal of information can and should be gotten from them by the new chum.

Getting gold : an ABC of prospecting in Australia explaining in simple, non-technical language, the methods of getting gold by means of panning, cradling, puddling, dollying,

CONTENTS. Introduction. Page

Chapter 1. Setting O u t....................................................................... 1
Chapter 2. The Field of Operations................................................ 4
Chapter 3. Tools of the Trade........................................................... 8
Chapter 4. Tools of the Trade (Continued).................................. 12
Chapter 5. Hydraulic Mining........................................................... 15
Chapter 6. How Gold is Formed.................................................... 17
Chapter 7. Some Notes on Victorian Goldfields........................... 20
Chapter 8. State B atteries................................................................ 27
Chapter 9. Miners R ights................................................................. 29
Chapter 10. Some Extracts From the Mining By-law s.................. 30
A Glossary of Some Terms Commonly Used Fossicking.............................

ILLUSTRATIONS. Page

Cradle..................................................................................................................... 2
D olly....................................................................................................................... 6
D ish .............................................................................................................................. 9
Sluices.................................................................................................................... 13
Puddling Machine............................................................................................... 15
The W hip.............................................................................................................. 19
Puddling T u b ....................................................................................................... 22
Windlass................................................................................................................

PDF Book http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/156878

The gold digger's guide, or, Practical mining made easy / by H.V. Rogers.

SLATE BOTTOMS.

Slate is one of the best bottoms for alluvial gold, but when
found to be in flat layers it is not a bottom, and must be gone
through just the same as any other strata, until edge reef is reached.
Most reefs standing edge upwards run north and south ; although
here and there the direction may vary a few points westerly or
easterly. Sometimes an exception to this rule occurs. Slate may
be hard or soft, and is often mixed up with pipe clays. Where gold
is prevalent make sure to examine closely the interstices between
slate slabs joining each other, as gold frequently finds its way along
with greasy clays attached to the sides of such slates. Gold may
be scraped off slabs with a butchers knife. Where bard close slate
exists, the gold is chiefly on the top of the slate ; in which case the
easiest plan is to chip up a few inches of same. Some merely
scrape the reef with a knife, sweeping up carefully such scrapings.
Where light brown and yellowish fine greasy sort of clays and soft
slates are, a deeper deposit of gold takes place. Remember that
only properly defined edge slate reefs constitute,the real bottom.
A ledge or slip of reef shot over, although horizontally placed, is
not a bottom, the wash dirt often being underneath this. As reefs
rise and dip on the surface, so do they likewise underneath the
surface, and at various depths. Frequently parallel with'the slate
reefs sandstone may be found, and good gold may be looked for
at the junction. Much gold has often been obtained where quartz
adjoins slate reefs; the quartz alluded to means quartz reefs and quartz veins.

SANDSTONE.

Where sandstone is the bottom a larger quantity of wash dirt
may be looked for, and the gold does not sink to any great depth,
except the sandstone be very soft. This sort of bottom is often
found in creeks, and may alternate at several yards distance to
slate, or even granite bottoms. In sinking shafts or excavating
paddocks, special attention is called to the fact, that in some parts
where alluvial gold is obtained, sandstone boulders may be
immediately lodged on the top of the wash dirt. In certain parts
where leads of gold exist pipe clay may also have to be gone
through, more especially if no edge reef appears. Some sandstone
boulders are very large, and great care should be taken not to
mistake such for the real bottom.

PDF Book http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/244331

You tube taught me a lot........really learnt heaps from gold hogs lesson videos a great source of information if you don't mind him up selling his products a little bit but the doc was great for me

Cheers for that download pipe clay.... Just finished reading it amazing. What took my interest most is the old miners right and extracts. Hard to believe since the 30s how wildly different things are. No wonder my grand father chased outa few ounces things were so different.

Hey Hazbeen

I couldn't see it mentioned in this thread, but you might get some insight from the yank Tom Massie and his Gold Fever TV Show, might be a yank but has some great info

He has a lot of shows but the 3 you might be interested in are:

Just Panning
Digging Panning Sluicing
No Two Pans are the Same

If you are into downloading shows and stuff then you'll find Gold Fever on - Kick Ass, Pirate Bay - if you know what a torrent is then you are good to go!!

As mentioned the university of You Tube is great.

Cheers

Latest posts