Native Dog Creek NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys any body been to native dogg creek in Oberon lately I hear the fossiking area there is now private land.. Any one got any info on the place?

Went to the old reserve at hope creek a few weeks back, i'm sure it's still crown land but as the local farmer has left and no more sheep grazing it's very overgrown .

Heading out that way this weekend if I dont have to work, cant see the state forest becoming private land.

Hey all,

Doing a weekend trip this weekend out to native dog creek with a mate, got a new swag and awning I've got to try out ?

Never been this way before so am looking for any tips to getting in and finding the creek and a good spot to set up for the night. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Oh and looking to catch a trout or 2 as well, any info on this?

Cheers guys.

Head down the native dog state forest rd till you hit the creek itself. For camping turn right and creek is on your left, there are some tracks heading down along this road to the creek that you can camp at.
Plenty of trout early morning and late afternoon, they hide under the black berries overhanging the creek.
Gold can be found along any number of rockbars the full length of the creek. Just watch out for tiger leeches in the water, they should be starting to come out with the warmer weather....and I don't mean snakes either, leeches 4-6" long. There are a few snakes around from time to time also.
Good luck.

I can't quite remember all the details, but I believe "Adventure Gold" On Youtube spent some time up there. He may have included details on where to go & how to get there.

Even if the details on getting around aren't all there, I'm sure you'll get some valuable stuff from the videos. They are really good.

I don't live up that way, but can vouch for how good AdventureGold's channel on the tube is...some of his footage lately has been fantastic and he offers great advice. :cool:

Was out there yesterday. No leeches yet :) but that may change as the water warms up.
There were however some very active 5 foot brown snakes so take care.

BTW it will be hot out there now.

G'day Kuskus

Yeah be careful plenty of tiger & brown snakes in that area. A few years back my uncle got bitten on the face by a tiger snake not too far from there.

I always take a few 150mm crepe bandages, my UHF radio, PLB just in case. I also wear ankle to knee gaiters as most australian snakes fangs aren't that long (approx 3mm) so at least gaiters give you a chance.

Snakes are alerted by ground vibration so if Im walking through an area where I can't see the ground, I always stomp my feet or jump a few times before walking through it to move any snakes off. Ive often see them slide away with this method as they would usually rather 'flight' than 'fight'.

Most people will tell you that brown snakes are highly aggressive & will go you at any opportunity. They are agitated by your movement so if you stand still you will notice that they will calm down & slide away.

I hope that useful.

Cheers

Hey guys sorry its taken so long but it was a great trip out to native dog, found some nice gold and saw but didn't catch any trout.

deff gunna get sum gaiters as is snake territory but didn't see any. but final got a video together. check it out and thanks for the advice.

https://youtu.be/M9ox1TkcNCU

Latest posts