My very first token - Hide & De Carle, Grocers & Wine Merchants

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Fox

Paul
Reaction score
Hey All,

Got out for bit of a morning detect today in the same area I found my 1946 penny.
The first half of the morning was very quiet, all I found were stacks 1c & 2c pieces with few $1 & $2 coins. I was getting a bit frustrated with the volume of 1's and 2's so I moved to another area. This proved to be more Silver Fox friendly :p First coin I pulled up was a 1923 6 pence, follwed by a 1935 then another 6 pence, 1957! Today was proving to be a 6 pence day, not a copper coin to be seen, until.... I pulled up what I thought was a 1857 English Penny. At first I had no idea what it was, it was too big to be a penny yet the reverse looked very much like a English penny, even with a date at the bottom... On closer inspection, the obverse had a lion in the center and text around with the word 'Melbourne' on it, I knew I had something other than a coin, I was stoked!
I got home, cleaned it gently in warm soapy water, got as much details as possible and Googled. It worked out to be a token, very happy, it's my first!

Below is a 'stolen' :eek: image of the token I found. The one I dug up is now soaking in oil so I can't show you, sorry.... Here is where I stole the image from, if you want to read more about it http://museumvictoria.com.au/collec...e-merchants-melbourne-victoria-australia-1857

1400411052_token.jpg

SF

Latest posts