My Unidentified Metal Detector - Anyone Recognise It?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattr

Matt
Reaction score
Hi, all.
I found two 'half-detectors' at my local tip and put them together to make a whole one.

My creation works, in that it will sound off over iron, but I can't for the life of me, get it to make any consistent

alert for a big, brass padlock or copper pipe. I wonder if it may have been discarded because of a faulty discrimination switch

but I know nothing at all about detectors (hence, why I joined PA) and have not ruled out operator incompetence, yet.

The control box had a loose power-wire on the circuit board, so I wonder if that was the reason for disposal, and possibly nothing else?

I want to rule out operator trouble by finding a manual for the machine but I have no idea what it is. Below is some photos which hopefully someone can recognise and tell me a make, model or even just a year.

The Minelab Supersearch coil was not originally attached to the box, the plug was similar, but inverted shape, so wires were cut and joined.

...perhaps also part of the problem? All wires had a matching colour, except one, so I joined them in the expected (of an amatuer) way.

I'm normally not too bad with Google, but this particular problem is on its second prepaid internet recharge and still not solved. :(

The speaker is on the bottom an looks really seventies, if that makes any sense.

1432451873_control-box.jpg

1432451924_metal-detector-plughole.jpg
1432451984_metal-detector.jpg

HI we used a detector very simular to that back in about 1986/8,the detector we used was called a A1 built in Melbourne and was 15 khz we used garret coils on them. It think there was only about 200 produced we found them to be a very good vlf detector the only difference I can see is the knobs on a AI were all on the same face as the metre regards john :)

Latest posts