My highbanker, should this be just flat bottom under the Grizzlies?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone should this be just flat bottom under the Grizzlies? I've found it clogs up once larger material falls through the Grizzlies... And read the bottom should be bare so that the water makes things flow

By sluice has ribbed marine carpet, expanded mesh with riffles further down

Tried uploading photo but it says it's too big and I don't know how to drop the quality of the photos in using an iPhone...

Ah you have a gs20. Normally the water should hit near the back of the sluice pushes off and gains speed quickly to the first riffle. The problem you might have is when the grizzly has rocks on it the water flow is disrupted and falls straight down. The water is then not running as quickly to the first riffle. Any larger flat rocks don't have the momentum to flow over the riffle especially if they are dropped just before it. Making the under grizzly part a slick plate might help but I'd say the best option would be to use a shute to force the water and material to the back of the sluice at all times.

Jon

1461229740_image.jpg

blisters said:
Ah you have a gs20. Normally the water should hit near the back of the sluice pushes off and gains speed quickly to the first riffle. The problem you might have is when the grizzly has rocks on it the water flow is disrupted and falls straight down. The water is then not running as quickly to the first riffle. Any larger flat rocks don't have the momentum to flow over the riffle especially if they are dropped just before it. Making the under grizzly part a slick plate might help but I'd say the best option would be to use a shute to force the water and material to the back of the sluice at all times.

Jon

Cheers for that mate, I believe what I am going to do is run some alloy angle around the inner perimeter of the hopper and drop a piece of perforated sheet on top all the way down so that only really small stuff can make it down in through the Grizzlies. Do you think this could work? And that all the dirt will fall through? Or will I be washing it off the back? The hopper is 1M long by 35cm wide and the sheet will go from the very front to the very back end past the Grizzlies so nothing bigger then a pea will go through into the sluice, hopefully giving me better clean outs and no clogging.

Way too long IMHO.
A guide for fall could be 1 in 12.

Our launder has nothing but bare steel under the input, then after the water and material has time to even out, the first screen starts.
In your scale, I would say the mesh should start about where your first riffle is.

I just found some photos to show ours. Sorry for the crap quality, but they are taken from an ancient head cam video. But you should get the idea.

1461234019_1.jpg

1461234040_2.jpg

1461234064_3.png

The last one is a photo of just the top screen taken out for daily clean up, because that is where the majority of the gold will be.
The other big screens are only taken out once a week or on shut down.

NickThadik said:
Cheers for that mate, I believe what I am going to do is run some alloy angle around the inner perimeter of the hopper and drop a piece of perforated sheet on top all the way down so that only really small stuff can make it down in through the Grizzlies. Do you think this could work? And that all the dirt will fall through? Or will I be washing it off the back? The hopper is 1M long by 35cm wide and the sheet will go from the very front to the very back end past the Grizzlies so nothing bigger then a pea will go through into the sluice, hopefully giving me better clean outs and no clogging.

Wow that's one big sluice I got muddled with the gs12. As Jemba said water and fall but I assume this was ok and just big rocks were getting stuck? I have to put a little more water and fall than I would like in order to clear the top of a gs17 and occasionally flick over the stuck material on the top riffle usually only larger flat rocks. If I don't then it mounts up quickly. Running slick to the second riffle would probably correct this but I haven't gotten to modify it yet.

This is what I was talking about with the water dropping when rocks sit on the grizzly:
1461253570_grizzly.jpg

Reports of the perforated plate suggest rectangular or square holes are better than round as they don't block as easily such as the cable tray used in the walbanker. I haven't tried it but was thinking along the exact same lines using the cable tray. You would want it to clear the hopper bottom to suit the classified material size and your water volume over the various hopper angles you might use. I'd say the slope should wash the smaller material down to the grizzly no problem but trial and error with that one if it doesn't. I don't like any coloured water flowing off the back but at the point of the grizzly no water should be flowing on top of your plate just waste.

Jon

blisters solution is what I adopted some time ago. it works by directing lots of water to the back of the sluice before going down the race.
1461274592_20160422_0701341.jpg

1461275192_20160422_070152.jpg

Not pretty, lost my access to a great workshop so now everything goes past the butcher. However you can see the tray under the grisly which directs water backward, it almost halves the water drop area & changes the water direction.

Nice yep I was looking at a curved plate to direct the water back down the sluice to smooth out the flow and help stratify the material on the curve.
Jon

blisters said:
How'd it go Nick?

Jon

Hey mate, so initial testing to stop the clogging by introducing a perforated screen across the length of the hopper showed that the material on the screen was not getting washed properly by the spray bars by the time it fell off the back of the hopper into the railings pile it was still dirty unfortunately....

Trying to figure out the next step.
Possibly just changing the grizzly bars to perforated but thinking this might cause material to wash over the back.

Also currently trying to work out a clean up sluice/Miller table.

Something that just has a piece of rubber v matting in it and that can be lifted out and boom it's now a Miller table.

The only other way I can think of making sure the tailings pile is clean is to have a jet firing up from the arse end of the hopper with a shit load of water to wash it all and Tumble it as it comes back down the screen.

That is, instead of the spray bar setup.

My banker has got a floating grizzly section that runs the entire length of the hopper with roughly 1 inch drop out zone , so any material or water that is put into the hopper is all relocated to a smaller drop out zone thus providing better flow to clean out the sluice . Running your hopper flatter will aid with cleaning the material better but I found with my Sluicy that the flow would not be enough to provide sufficient cleaning out and everything would clog up without running the sluice at a rediculos angle. Hopefully you can nut it out mate ??

Latest posts