My fist park night dig.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgmhot

Rodger
Reaction score
Not easy digging at night. Only turned on the light from the pointer when needed and the 705 screen light stayed on. Didn't want to be seen. I saw colour lights moving around, up and down , even when it turned up behind me I could not see it was a dog, just colour lights running around. Then a voice out of the black asked if I lost something, scared me when I didn't hear or see her come up. About 20m away. About 2 hrs only 20c and junk.
1398044935_1398045118871.jpg

It's good that your digging everything mate, it teaches you the sounds on the machine, I still dig everything with my cheap detector, you'd be surprised what some people leave behind thinking it's just "junk"
Well done mate and keep at it,
Cheers Sam

I changed the setting from no1 to no2 and 3 it cut out the pull tabs but also to 20c when tested. So had to put up with pull tabs, some gave out high numbers, had to dig.

Oh well, can't expect miracles everytime, that's just the way it goes, but your efforts will come rewarded sooner or later. For every successful hunt posted up on this forum, I'm sure there are hundreds that come up short with regards to finds, and not everone shows their junk targets found either, just the good stuff. Hence why I like to be realistic and show the crap that I detect vs the good stuff pulled out of the ground as well. Some parks here in Adelaide are littered with buried foil, screw caps and oull tabs, so picking out a good target can be a real chore.

I think someone has posted up a chart of the VDI numbers and the correlating target possibilities somewhere, that may help out.

Keep digging everything till you start to get an idea of what is possibly a junk target and what could be a keeper, pull tabs and foil can unfortunately fall in the gold range, so are hence almost unavoidable. If looking for coins and silver, you can probably afford to notch out a lot more gear in the lower range, and hence coins like 5 &10c and sometimes the three pence may be missed. That's why a lot of areas have lots of 5c cent coins left in the ground, as people discriminate them out in favour of higher denominations.

High traffic areas are a good place to look, recently I found a real good spot - a park right next to a major shopping centre with a tot lot and all! Quite a few goldies were found in the tot lot, around the playground surrounds, and along the edges of pathways leading from the shopping centre. Areas around tennis courts, netball courts and basketball courts can also be lucrative vs wandering endless grassed areas of some parks. :)

Latest posts