My first good go at a park hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dropped the son of at school, hit a local 120yrs old plus park at 8.30am. Great day, nice cool breeze, birds are chirping, butterflys are buzzing etc lol.

First dig, 8 inches down or more.....really rusty old bottle cap. The next 4 hours, it was just bottletops, ringpulls, and a few rusty junk metal pieces. Tried near the skatepark for goldies, and only found pieces of wrecked skate wheels. Surface finds, a working bic lighter, and a mp3 player cord. Why wasnt just one of them caps a coin :( lol Even with discrimination, those caps register as coins on my ace350. The xpointer went well, it helped me find faster, even 2 caps wedged under thick tree roots. Took me ages to dig them, thought I was onto a good find lol

I did get exercise though, which is way more important, and the main reason I bought the detector......still just one coin, even decimal wouldave been nice!

You got out and had a go mate, that's the first step to finding anything. Keep at it, get rid of the junk and good targets will follow. You might need to try a few different spots before you find a honey hole.

to be honest rocketaroo the problem i noticed with the cheaper metal detectors is that they are just not very accurate with finding coins and other stuff and it takes a long time to actually get good with them but even then you still pull up a heap of ring pulls and stuff .i recently heard a guy with a $2000 deus xp complain that he pulled up a few ring pulls also .i sold my xterra 705 and purchased a ctx3030 because of this fact i didnt know if the ctx would be any better but i thought the more money you spend on anything the better the quality and in some cases the result .

one thing i can honestly say with everything i have is that in the 3 months i have had the ctx i have never pulled up 1 ringpull not one now people will find that hard to believe but its the truth if i go looking for goldies i look at the id and it will read either a solid 12.38 - 12.39 and i know everytime that it reads that and use target trace its a $1 or $2 coin sometimes the number will jump at 12.37 and go right back to 12.38 this is because the coin is slightly slanted in the ground but i am very new to metal detecting and i just want to say if you have the money and dont mind a bit of extra weight on your arm the ctx is the best metal detector on the market i admit the deus xp is lighter and faster at clearing ground but with the ctx if it rings up a coin 99.9% of the time it is a coin and that is no egzageration.

the reason why i am thinking of selling my ctx is because i like to spend hrs out on the field and the ctx sometimes gets a bit heavy this is its only fault .

when i had a xterra 705 and other cheap detectors it would infuriate me cause i would be reading solid numbers for coins and id be getting trash non stop and i just didnt have the time to dig 500 holes and maybe get $5 out of the ground .with the ctx3030 if i get 500 signals 499 of them will be what im looking for and no im not a salesman i just got told by alot of people on here that i had to learn the xterra and stuff like that so i spent alot of time on it and it was a waste of time cause i realised you get what you pay for .if you spend $2500 on a ctx you know your getting the best dam coin and ring finder there is without having to dig 500 holes to find a few coins with the cheaper metal detectors you could be out all day and find hardly anything because either the detector didnt see the object or it gave false signals .

and this is from a guy who believed the hype of just listen to your detector and you will find everything .let me tell you i know people with etracs and they still pick up heaps of pulltabs .if you have the money get a ctx and you wont have to worry about these problems again .i admit it may take a bit of the fun out of getting experiance and becoming a vetaran of your detector but at the end of the day your legs will thank you and your pocket will be full .in the last 3 days i have made $49 in 2.5 hrs work ez money :) but i had to pay alot so it will take me some time to pay the detector off .hope this helps you .

Latest posts