My 1946 Penny

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Fox

Paul
Reaction score
Hey All,

Went out detecting Good Friday with a mate of mine, thought we would try out South of ACT. We didn't do so well so we headed closer to home and hit small park just outside Canberra.
My first find was a coin spill of 4 Pennies, 1911, 22, 34 & 48, was quite wrapped, spills don't come around often. A short time later I found another penny (1919 I think) followed by about $8 in cash. My mate started digging a target but decided after digging the plug that the target was actually something undesirable and thinking it was large, he filled in the hole and left. I thought I would give it a go since I was next to him, the target was a sweet 86-89 (On the Garrett AT Pro International) indicating it was a penny or possibly silver of sort so I dug it. Low and behold I pulled out 2 pennies (1949 & 52 I think) about 1 inch deep past the existing hole! After that some teenage kids decided to hang around us, they were most annoying. I pulled up a few more dollars before pulling up a final penny which I quickly put into the pocket so the teenagers wouldn't ask to see it. After escaping from the nightmare of teenagers we sat down and had a beer. I pulled out all my coins and check out the year of the final coin, 1946, I thought 'meh, another bloody penny from the 40's and 50's. I most probably already have this', my mate however pointed out to me that the 1946 is a rare penny, I quickly change my attitude towards the penny :)
Below is the image of the coin. I soaked the coin in extra virgin Olive Oil for a week then I did used tooth pick to gently take of the oil soaked dirt. I was skeptical about doing this but I figured it's been in circulation and it's been roughing it in the ground for at least 50 years so why not, I was very gentle. If you dislike the way I cleaned it, look away quick!!!

1398420763_1946_penny.jpg

SF

well done SF what a find. you got your hands on the 3rd rarest penny, now you need to find the 1925 penny. Don't think any of us will find the 1930 penny though. Congrats on the 46 penny.

cheers Rob

Oh don't do the 'soak it in Coke' trick, that's bad!
Soak in Olive Oil for as long as necessary, clean with warm soapy water and sponge, place back in oil if further cleaning is required :) If your feeling game (like me...) use a tooth pick to help get the dirt out.

Hurg said:
Nice find.

Does the 'soak it in Coke' trick work on these old coins?

1925 Penny?
I got one of those, I'm gonna check the Blue Sheets right now! lol

beach detecting addict said:
well done SF what a find. you got your hands on the 3rd rarest penny, now you need to find the 1925 penny. Don't think any of us will find the 1930 penny though. Congrats on the 46 penny.

cheers Rob

Boy I'd like to find a 1930 penny...

SF

beach detecting addict said:
Crikey SF now you are showing off! I am going detecting with you mate if you find a 1930 penny we will split it lol.
Cheers ROB

Some of mine have been soaking in oil for years
1398558034_sam_1940.jpg

1398558065_sam_1941.jpg

1398558112_sam_1942.jpg

1398558131_sam_1943.jpg

1398558163_sam_1944.jpg

1398558177_sam_1945.jpg

I'll have to break out the tooth picks now.

The reverse side appears to be in quite good condition. If the obverse is the same condition then it would be worth about $150.00.

The obverse is slightly better condition :)

axtyr said:
The reverse side appears to be in quite good condition. If the obverse is the same condition then it would be worth about $150.00.

With the help of my MicroCapture I was able to bet into all the nooks and crannies Lemming_1 :)

Best eBay buy ever!

Lemming_1 said:
You definitely got ALL the dirt off it. Well done mate!

Latest posts