MXT on the Gold Fields Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Not long now and I'll be back on the gold here in the west.
This year I'm going to take my MXT to use in the creeks where the Minelab PI just fries my noodle.

Quick Question for you;
When there is a lot of mineralization, should I run in tracking, or lock it at 50 and ground balance when needed like the Minelab?
I do lock tracking if there's lots of man made iron about as Jeff Fosters book suggests or when mineralization is very low, like dry white sand (I lock it at 80).

Is this process the same for the GMT also? I think the 2 machines are very similar.

Cheers in advance, and I will be doing a YouTube video of me working some creeks Meekathara way with the MXT and GMT.
Hopefully I can also make a video digging up a 10 ouncer using the Minelab on the flats, but that is still in pre-production :D

GD

Use tracking in all and a high SAT speed if the machine can't handle things you have no option then to lower the Gain.

I'd say a few hours in' you will reasonably impressed how well the machine works as long as the SAT is high.

The 10" DD eclipse is the best compromise over depth & sensitivity.

Use relic mode, not AM..... hot rocks will drive you from using it in some locations more than others. Concentrate on trashy locations where small gold is known to be on the surface. Flat rusty iron will cause hi-tones but dont let that deter you, in among the rubbish is gold.

Get into the mind set of finding shallow surface gold with it in among the trash and you'll not be disappointed with depth.

If you and I know I can' ignore the many hot rock signals, after you dig half a dozen in ALL you will no the noise they make and just sweep over them'

yeah they can be annoying but teach yourself to turn off from the noise and you will be surprised how much lead and gold signals you will get Amongst the hot rocks' Zip, Zip...

Thanks For the Reply's, Awesome info as usual.

I am going to hit an old dry-blowing area also, so might pick up a few coins or relics which makes the day go faster.
I bought the 6x10 DD coil not long ago from GSA, also have the little 5.3 concentric if the ground isn't too bad.

Really considering a SPP or TDI SL after watching YouTube tonight, the high and low conductivity has to be a real advantage over the GPX??
Plus a Shed-Load easier to carry on the Yamaha.
Just wish we had a dealer in the West, I would love to give one a go.

Video Link will be here soon,

GD

Gold Diver said:
Thanks For the Reply's, Awesome info as usual.

I am going to hit an old dry-blowing area also, so might pick up a few coins or relics which makes the day go faster.
I bought the 6x10 DD coil not long ago from GSA, also have the little 5.3 concentric if the ground isn't too bad.

Really considering a SPP or TDI SL after watching YouTube tonight, the high and low conductivity has to be a real advantage over the GPX??
Plus a Shed-Load easier to carry on the Yamaha.
Just wish we had a dealer in the West, I would love to give one a go.

Video Link will be here soon,

GD

If you use the Relic Mode for Prospecting Don't Turn the Disc Up above 2 as it will knock out Iron Stained Gold,

That Little 5.3 Coil will see Tiny Stuff and It is Perfect for Hot Ground when you are In Rocky Areas, Never Lock The GB at 50, If the Ground is not Changing too much then Ground Balance and then Lock It,

I have Owned just about every Model of the MXT's and My New All Pro has the Round 10" D2 Coil (DD) and it can see test pieces Below 0.02 grams,

If you use the Prospect Mode Ground Balance at a Low Gain setting and then set it up at the Pre Sets, If the Threshold disappears then turn the SAT speed up by ONE NUMBER and test it. If it still won't settle down by the Time you have the Sat Speed up to 7 then Lower the Gain by ONE NUMBER and as you Raise the SAT Lower the Gain,

The other Choice is to run the Gain High and turn the SAT into the Hyper SAT Range, What you want to hear is when you sweep the Coil Is the Threshold to be stable and Not Disappear,

These Two Controls work against each other so you need to learn to Balance them In The Area that you are Hunting In.

Don't Write off that Little 5.3 Coil Because It can Pull Coins from between 8 to 10 inches and it will see Very Tiny Specs of Gold and eats up Hot Ground,

Hope This Helps,, john

Latest posts