Mudgee / hill end trip this weekend

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone going on a spur of the moment trip this weekend

Anyone know where to take the highbanker around Mudgee / hill end?
Is water flowing out there this time of year?

As much info as possible please guys. Christening the highbanker.

Thanks for that mate, what's the gold like there? And tips on areas of the track to pull over and unload to test? I've read that some areas of the river produce lots at trash and barely a flake...

Plenty of areas to explore including detecting one you get to the bottom and awesome camp areas right near the water. However if you just want gold in your high-banker would suggest closer to Coles Bridge in and around that vicinity. Closer to Mugdee id be suggesting Windeyer or Turon Gates. Reason I suggested Bridle track is the water flow for testing the banker as you have mentioned you want to christen the HB. Other spots u need to know how the water levels are whereas Bridle is where the Turon meets the Macquarie so bigger water levels assured.

Peter

Hey twapster!
Went to Mudgee and picked up my new GS20 from central west prospecting on Saturday morning after a 3:45 minute drive from my place in Sydney!

After picking it up and stopping in at think water to get some threaded reducers we headed to hill end bridle track. We stopped as soon as we got to the first sign of water as we were in a 2WD ute and didn't want to get stuck or pop a tyre.

We set up camp and then took the gear down onto the dry river bed and set the pump up, the water wasn't flowing but the polls were big enough to feed the water, lots of green slime though!!

We did a bit of digging and lifting larger rocks from football size river pebbles to stuff the size of car engines and got a bit but not much, just as we were packing up Sunday afternoon to come back a guy came over to us and told us that he lives just down the track from where we were set up and that he has looked just about everywhere and that the area has just been thrashed. We got around 40 flaked of gold for the 1 1/2 hours we ran the high banker

That's all we had time for after we got it set up and figured out water flow and angles.

Thanks for the information though mate really appreciate it. But for future we know not to go out there lol, better off sticking to the shoalhaven I think.

NickThadik said:
Hey twapster!
Went to Mudgee and picked up my new GS20 from central west prospecting on Saturday morning after a 3:45 minute drive from my place in Sydney!

After picking it up and stopping in at think water to get some threaded reducers we headed to hill end bridle track. We stopped as soon as we got to the first sign of water as we were in a 2WD ute and didn't want to get stuck or pop a tyre.

We set up camp and then took the gear down onto the dry river bed and set the pump up, the water wasn't flowing but the polls were big enough to feed the water, lots of green slime though!!

We did a bit of digging and lifting larger rocks from football size river pebbles to stuff the size of car engines and got a bit but not much, just as we were packing up Sunday afternoon to come back a guy came over to us and told us that he lives just down the track from where we were set up and that he has looked just about everywhere and that the area has just been thrashed. We got around 40 flaked of gold for the 1 1/2 hours we ran the high banker

That's all we had time for after we got it set up and figured out water flow and angles.

Thanks for the information though mate really appreciate it. But for future we know not to go out there lol, better off sticking to the shoalhaven I think.

I will let u know the next time im heading out that way, for sure in a 2wd u cant get to the spots that hold more gold, and more importantly the spots that require water flow. It can be a real bummer to plan on a location only to find its completely bone dry.

I had a guy that lives in Hargraves tell me "honestly there's no gold left around here", that same day we hit some of the best high-banking material to date not too far from where the comment was made. lol

Good to hear you got the banker going, if you are ever heading back that way pm me and I can point you to some better spots that the GS20 will absolutely love as long as there has been some recent rain

Twapster
Looking a Sofala Turon Hill End as alternative places to head ths weekend for a dig if the water in Ophir is low.
Where would you suggets for a place to camp and set up the walbanker .. Have a 4x4 now so off road tracks are not a problem.

grubstake said:
NickThadik said:
...a guy came over to us and told us that he lives just down the track from where we were set up and that he has looked just about everywhere and that the area has just been thrashed.

:D
And you believed him??? :rolleyes:

You sure were lucky to meet such a helpful person on your first trip! ;)

I guess we were played like a game ???? oh well, better luck next time idiot (me)

nucopia said:
You could have headed out to Ophir .. Maybe next time.

Pretty new to prospecting have only ever been out to the shoalhaven so we went out there without much info just to test the new highbanker mate.

Twapster said:
NickThadik said:
Hey twapster!

I will let u know the next time im heading out that way, for sure in a 2wd u cant get to the spots that hold more gold, and more importantly the spots that require water flow. It can be a real bummer to plan on a location only to find its completely bone dry.

I had a guy that lives in Hargraves tell me "honestly there's no gold left around here", that same day we hit some of the best high-banking material to date not too far from where the comment was made. lol

Good to hear you got the banker going, if you are ever heading back that way pm me and I can point you to some better spots that the GS20 will absolutely love as long as there has been some recent rain

Thanks for that mate, I appreciate it, we are very keen to learn and any advice is good advice!

bazxa said:
nick check the goldhog mat site info for what to look for in flows etc. you don't need their mats just use the info.

Thanks mate, I inderstand how rivers work etc, just that's all we had to work with because we didn't want to try go any further down the track in fear of getting stuck or popping a tyre.

Do you use the gold hog mats? Considering swapping my 2.4m of sluice out to run gold hog mat, Thoughts?

Hi nick, we live in miranda. I have been using gold hog mats the few times we have been out. Got mixed feeling bout it. We will be away for the next month but when we get back you are welcome to come an have a look at the mats. Cheers.

Latest posts