Mountain goat trommel / Spiral wheel questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all , first post on here so go easy lol , I'm looking into something to speed up my cleanup process at home. I currently have a 2 stage process that involves a cleanup sluice (1) which is followed by a Miller table (2). I've recently had the chance to play with a gold spiral wheel and was really happy with how easily and quickly the unit seperated the black sand from the gold. My question is , is it worth keeping my current method of cleaning up ( time consuming due to the Miller table) or am I better off selling my current cleanup equipment and upgrading to the mountain goat trommel and spiral wheel ( $800ish). I'm located in northeast Victoria and mainly prospect between Beechworth and Eldorado. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled lol thanks again

PnS - yes I'm aware of what this looks like :lol:

As it currently stands I have to feed spoonfuls of already lightly panned cons into the clean up sluice ( twice atleast if there is a lot), clean that up . And finish by spooning the concentrated cons onto the Miller table . The trommel/spiral combo I'm looking at should remove the panning altogether ( hopefully). As I will only need to feed the cleanup from my banker directly into the trommel which classifies my cons and automatically feeds the spiral wheel.

Not to sure on the mountain goat.
But I do use the desert fox.
Now to run it , at its best, you first must classify your cons.
It does miss a bit of your -100 mesh gold.
I too still run it over the miller table.
+30, -30 and -50 * desert fox
Re-run -50 and -100 over the miller table.
I pick up about %20-40 more gold out of the -50.
Not to sure if the mountain goat will proses the really fine gold.
Or if you will still need to classify it at the end and
re-run the fines over the miller table.
As for speed, I'm sure it will make things a lot quicker.
But would be expensive if it doesn't capture a lot ot the fines
Hope this helps you a little.
Cheers Kane.

I've been racking my brain over this for weeks now, I have a 44gallon drum full of crushing fines waiting to be processed, I did try running some of the crusher fines through a clean up sluice but wasn't happy with the recovery, so back in the drum they went, I do have a gold rocket made by an Aussie fellow in the shed but I lost some of the stainless steel pellets that are a major part of its recovery system, hence why it's catching dust in the shed, panning was doing my head in with insane amount of time it was taking so I'm not far off purchasing a gold wheel, I watched a YouTube clip on the desert fox and almost hit the purchase button but alas I still wasn't completely convinced till I had gotten some decent advice, so any advice forum members have I'm all ears :)

dwt said:
I've been racking my brain over this for weeks now, I have a 44gallon drum full of crushing fines waiting to be processed, I did try running some of the crusher fines through a clean up sluice but wasn't happy with the recovery, so back in the drum they went, I do have a gold rocket made by an Aussie fellow in the shed but I lost some of the stainless steel pellets that are a major part of its recovery system, hence why it's catching dust in the shed, panning was doing my head in with insane amount of time it was taking so I'm not far off purchasing a gold wheel, I watched a YouTube clip on the desert fox and almost hit the purchase button but alas I still wasn't completely convinced till I had gotten some decent advice, so any advice forum members have I'm all ears :)
What size gold are we talking.
If you just run 100 mesh cons, it works ok.
If you run a little V matting under the wheel, it will get anything it misses.
But you must get the water flow right first.

I'm moving back to Victoria at weeks end.
If you in Victoria, you are more than welcome to come and try it with what you have, to see how it runs before you go and spend money on one.
I still re-run my fines over the miller table to pick up what it misses.
+ and - 30 mess it works brilliant.
50 mesh is good
But it must be run slow for 100 mesh.

XIV said:
dwt said:

If you in Victoria, you are more than welcome to come and try it with what you have, to see how it runs before you go and spend money on one.
50 mesh is good
All sizes of gold mate, some very fine stuff all the way up to round pin head lil nuggets, actual mesh size I couldn't tell you without screening some of it through, I guess the largest pieces of concentrate would be 1mm due to that being the size screen in the base of the disintigrator, from there it only gets smaller and finer, might have to purchase some fine mesh screens and bucket up the different sizes.
Appreciate the offer on trial, I'll wait till your moved and settled in before I float you a PM on a meet and greet.

dwt said:
XIV said:
dwt said:

50 mesh is good
All sizes of gold mate, some very fine stuff all the way up to round pin head lil nuggets, actual mesh size I couldn't tell you without screening some of it through, I guess the largest pieces of concentrate would be 1mm due to that being the size screen in the base of the disintigrator, from there it only gets smaller and finer, might have to purchase some fine mesh screens and bucket up the different sizes.
Appreciate the offer on trial, I'll wait till your moved and settled in before I float you a PM on a meet and greet.
No worries bud.
I should be down by next Monday.
Even use a flower siv if you don't have a screen.
Keep in touch

Cheers for the heads up on the M.G and wheel . I'm lucky enough to have been put on to a mountain goat and wheel for around half the price of what it would be brand new. Most of the local yellow is flour gold so I accept the fact that I may have to run the cons 2-3 times to get " most" of it. Most of the videos and information I've found are American though and haven't heard of too many trommel/wheel setups In Australia, so not exactly sure how it will process the gold from down under. If and when I decide to get this unit I'll give it run and perhaps put up some brief info on The unit running fine AUS gold .

Cheers Ben

Am very interested to chat to someone about this Post
Hopefully someone reads thus as Post is several years old
Cheers
Russel

[Mod edit: For member security, personal contact details must not be included in forum posts]

Am very interested to chat to someone about this Post
Hopefully someone reads thus as Post is several years old
Cheers
Russel

[Mod edit: For member security, personal contact details must not be included in forum posts]
Gday mate! I have moved the unit on a few years ago but im happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi all , first post on here so go easy lol , I'm looking into something to speed up my cleanup process at home. I currently have a 2 stage process that involves a cleanup sluice (1) which is followed by a Miller table (2). I've recently had the chance to play with a gold spiral wheel and was really happy with how easily and quickly the unit seperated the black sand from the gold. My question is , is it worth keeping my current method of cleaning up ( time consuming due to the Miller table) or am I better off selling my current cleanup equipment and upgrading to the mountain goat trommel and spiral wheel ( $800ish). I'm located in northeast Victoria and mainly prospect between Beechworth and Eldorado. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled lol thanks again

PnS - yes I'm aware of what this looks like :lol:
I have one would of thought the mountain goat would be only suitable for small nuggets and not flour gold as i have never tried it on flour gold yet as it take it home and just use thevpan and leave it in the sun until the water evaporates and then use mybfinger to pick up mmy flour gold

Gday mate! I have moved the unit on a few years ago but im happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

Cheers,
Ben
Hi Ben,
What are you using now ?
I'm working Reef Gold from NE Vic and is very fine, just like baby powder, and am classifying it through a kitchen sieve.
It seems to float but am unsure if I should purchase a Spiral wheel or a Miller Table ?
Would you suggest to classifier it down further ??
Any advice would surely help
Or even if you know someone with the gear that might charge a fee to either do it for me or to use it.
Funds are tight as on a low budget, but the Gold is out there waiting for me 😉

Cheers Russel

Latest posts