Mosquitoes WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to find out what Gold Prospecting areas in WA are prone to Mosquitoes.

I get an adverse reaction if bit.

So far lucky in the far NE of the state.

ya in luck JJB100. there aint much water where you find gold in WA (except Boddington in the S/West)
but .... mozzies can appear after rain & a bit of sunshine to warm the ponds
cover up .. long sleeves, pants (snake bite is much worse), & some strong repellent.
note this;
2. Wear light coloured clothing
If you really dont like the idea of using chemical filled bug repellants then wear light coloured clothing. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colours like blue and black. To avoid extra mosquito bites make sure to wear light colours like white and khaki. Not only will they help deter the mosquitoes but they will also help you feel cooler by reflecting sunlight.

from here
https://nomadsworld.com/avoid-mosquito-bites/

They were rampant a few months ago but seem to be tapering off now. Just before dawn and a couple of hours at dusk. Don't seem to be a problem at night now, or maybe I just sleep through them.

Flies are cronic though, I'm skipping dinner lately as I'm usually too full from all the flies I've swallowed during the day.

Have you tried the cedar and rosemary repellent. Works fantastic! Expensive for container size but
A little goes a long way.

So wear light clothing,
go out few after dawn and get back a few hours before dusk,
put some cedar and rosemary repellent on,
Eat flies - sure that's a deterrent?

Keep out of the niggle between West & East coast.

Thanks All

JJB100 said:
So wear light clothing,
go out few after dawn and get back a few hours before dusk,
put some cedar and rosemary repellent on,
Eat flies - sure that's a deterrent?

Keep out of the niggle between West & East coast.

Thanks All
The light clothing is something that I used not to be aware of. I was working with Innuit in the Arctic circle and was surprised to see that they all wore white parkas (which it seemed to me would make them hard to see against snow and ice). They said no, they only wore white in summer, because it reduced attacks by mosquitoes and blackflies.

Hey NJ got a similar story last night. No rain for months and last night it poured, you beauty. Then , about midnight, the chorus of a thousand frogs started, a beautiful way to be sent to sleep.
However, where did they come from?
Mackka

Latest posts