Mobile Reception Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am interested in learning more about areas that have terrible phone reception in Victoria.

What areas do you find zero phone reception? Where would you like mobile phone service where it's not currently available? How often do you find yourself without access to data services on your mobile in Victoria?

I have found Waanyarra and surrounds to have no phone reception. Parts of Tarnagulla are also poor.

Maldon and surrounds has good mobile coverage.

Bendigo and surrounds has pretty decent coverage.

Whroo had zero coverage last time I was there - but that was a few years ago.

Any other areas where coverage and data access is terrible or non existent?

Depends greatly on your provider. I work across the state and find only Telstra has the coverage. I was out the other day with some guys who could not get a mobile signal, they were using Optus and Vodaphone. Both usually work in Melbourne but could not understand what was happening. And yet I had no issues.
So the upshot is the question needs to be reworked to include mobile provider. Coverage maps are available from most providers.

Cheers

I spend most of my time in the big smoke and have found Virgin Mobile on Optus to be more than ok for me. But, when I go out to the GT I also carry a small Telstra "Blue Tick: prepaid which I put $100 long expiry (12 months) credit on, so about $2/week. I use the Telstra for short calls & SMS only or for emergency. I also make my calls on Virgin when I go into towns like Maryborough or Dunolly etc.

I used to use a Virgin mobile broadband (B/B) Dongle, but got fed up with no signal, so I changed to a Telstra WiFi modem mobile B/B. Even with Telstra it can be a bit iffy in some places, so I also have a 6dB gain mobile antenna, with patch leads for the 2 phones and the WiFi dongle. I open the hatch of the caravan and put it on the roof when I need to use it.

Doing this gives me phone and internet in some places that without it, I would have none.

The key thing is that the cost of running a Virgin smart phone most of the time plus the Telstra prepaid is still a better deal for what I use than using Telstra exclusively....... :)

edit - I have Telstra at Tarnagulla and Waanyarra with the antenna

There are some totally dead spots on the Mornington Peninsula, with Telstra, in the hills behind Flinders, some spots around Mount Martha.
Optus works at Oodnadatta but Telstra doesn't ( sorry not Victoria) and I've found a few :party: :lol: in the high country, mainly in valley's
cheers Keith

With Telstra in Robinvale (happy valley) its weak but cosistant. Drive to Mildura and from a few ks out of Euston till Gol Gol its non-existent. Same going to Swan Hill must be no cell towers out side of the reginol towns up this way.

Bloody heaps of spots in the high country where you can't get a signal, sometimes 3-4 hours from help if needed, that's where sat phone or plb is needed.
GT I haven't had a problem so far. I'm with telstra, my phone runs 3,4g and LTE

BobDigger said:
Maldon and surrounds has good mobile coverage.

I get nothing as soon as you leave maldon heading south untill i hit smeaton. Optus.
Daylesford to castlemaine is also fair shit, struggle to pull 1 bar of 3g.

I found out that Optus doesn't work at Glendon Qld. but Telstra does. So had a sim problem recently and decided to go Vodphone from Optus, which uses Telstra in isolated areas.
Jaros ]:D

You know there is something drastically wrong with Australia's mobile system when you can get better phone reception standing in the middle of a rice field in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam known as a third world country and get better reception than when your 200K from a capitol city in Australia :N: Guess they are just not making enough money from it :rolleyes:

1499207702_mekong_sat_dish.jpg

Latest posts