Mobile Phone Signal Boosters - Help Please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On recent travels throughout the Australian outback, I have met many folk who use mobile signal boosters to get a few bars of signal, when I often get nothing - even on my Blue Tick phone.
At Western Creek Station (FNQ) recently, most of us would drive back out past the first grid to get a bar of signal, but a few would get it in camp using their boosters and external antennas.
So, I'm looking for advise on reliable systems to use on a Telstra iPhone without an external RF connector. Must be at least 4G/LTE compatible.
I'd appreciate any/all assistance guys.

Redfin said:
Best to ask at camp at WCS where they worked.

There was reception if you walked back towards the house and up that rock heap? (Can't remember what it's called now?)

A number of travellers on other forums and groups just buy or hire a satellite phone or get a sleeve for their existing phone. There are cost implications in regards to plan costs etc but are really the only thing that can guarantee signal across the country (notwithstanding reception issues in storms / heavy clouds)

Another thought to consider as you can spend a bit in regards to aerials and boosters and the like and can still be caught out

Notwithstanding SAT phones, the issue of mobile phone coverage is simple;

1. The best network for rural mobile coverage is Telstra, the others don't come near.
2. Telstra have a number of signal boosting options https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/network-coverage-extension-devices and to my knowledge these are the only devices they approve on their network.
3. As per my other thread, a Yagi or Dipole antenna are options that do not boost a signal, purely improve the antenna for signal collection and transmission. Consider most mobile phone inbuilt antennas are no bigger than your thumbnail.
4. Even signal boosters need a signal somewhere in the vicinity to work. They will pick up and amplify that weak signal, your phone antenna won't. But, if there just is no signal at all, there's nothing to amplify.
5. A passive antenna, (one that does not directly attach to the device i.e. induced like a car window antenna) will help, but is not as good as a directly connected antenna.
As I mentioned in my other thread, the only 2 phones I've found in Australia with antenna ports are both ZTE branded and both Telstra - Flip 3 and Tough Max 3.

I have asked this Q myself of Telstra; Some Samsung phones have a small port under the rear cover (if it's removable) is this an antenna port? I was told "not specifically and you risk 'fritzing' the phone if you use it". :)

Yes it is an antenna port.
Mine has one. :) :)

I have thought about drilling a hole through the
rear cover holding my moe right to access it.

Not worried about it atm.

TJ, mmm, I was told it was a service interface port, however, I'd want to know for sure before I used it. As my Samsung has a non removable battery, a moot point for me lol, the rear cover is noted as non removable. (although the phone can be disassembled.)

Did a Google, one response - "Under the rear cover, the Atrix has a round plastic cap over a coax connector. These sockets are used for testing of the phone on the production line. The only reason for not using them for an external antenna, is that they just aren't designed to survive numerous insertions/removals" From a Samsung Forum

Kind of shows we are both right in part of our comments, lol. The above suggests, if used it's better to leave the patch lead connected rather than continually plug/unplug.

Of course, I'd also be loath to drill a hole, particularly if under warranty.

BigWave said:
On recent travels throughout the Australian outback, I have met many folk who use mobile signal boosters to get a few bars of signal, when I often get nothing - even on my Blue Tick phone.
At Western Creek Station (FNQ) recently, most of us would drive back out past the first grid to get a bar of signal, but a few would get it in camp using their boosters and external antennas.
So, I'm looking for advise on reliable systems to use on a Telstra iPhone without an external RF connector. Must be at least 4G/LTE compatible.
I'd appreciate any/all assistance guys.

G'day

I believe that signal boosters are illegal, but are still in used, and don't know much about them, but what I have used for some time now is a broomstick antenna mounted to the top of an extendable tent pole, the wire runs down the inside of the pole, which in turn is mounted via a bolt through the bottom end to the bottom rail on the side of my roof rack so it can swivel up once the pole is extended, another bracket attached to the top rail allows it to be secured to a bolt with a wing nut, its at the front of the rack near the front drivers door so that the end of the cable can pass through the front window, that way it can be left up and used in all weather conditions, I use it with a teltra tough3 phone attached with a patch lead to the antenna.

Using this set up I can get a phone signal in many places, and also use my phone sim card in a usb stick that attached by a patch lead also to the antenna to get internet for my computer needs, there are of course some places where you just have to maybe look for high points to park up, what I usually do is when I get to an area and as the phone is in a cradle attached to the antenna mounted on the roo bar check that it is getting any bars or even just the g symbol, if so I know that with the antenna on the rack up it will get a usable signal.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts