Mitsubishi Air Bags.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneWolf said:
Mike 501... You NEED to read this... This was released in 2016..
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...a-limited-mitsubishi-triton-ml-mn-my2007-2014
For the full list of affected cars and 4x4's... this Site is updated close to Every day as they find new models affected... This is the site I would put 80% trust in... The 'others' only 20%....
I wouldn't use any site that I need to put my Rego in.... Work on your VIN number...
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list
Goldtrapper, You, Me and DD... We Die Like Real Men.. :playful:

LW...
Coz, when I die (again), I'm going down with a steering wheel in my teeth :cool:

My 2016 Colorado - unaffected
Wife's 2012 Corolla - Went in last year for replacement Airbags.

Bugger when the thing that's supposed to save your life, may well be the thing that kills you.

I also read that if you drive a vehicle subject to recall for airbags and drive it without making every effort to have them replaced, insurance is void.

By every effort, you need to contact a dealer. If they say they don't have them, or there is a delay in supply etc, get it in writing. Also check with your insurance company to see if you might have a problem re cover.

jethro said:
Class action by a large group of effected owners that have been clearly sold a lemon from the get go may help to smarten MM up on the price. Perhaps they should offer a new for old like for like on the vehicles they either can't or won't fix. Lemon law is long overdue in this country.

I am not absolutely sure, but I think that all those Euro diesel cars by VW, that were sold on the basis they were the best non polluting diesel on the market,
had to be bought back at the same price as they were retailed at.

A class action may have to be brought against the maker of the car and the maker of the airbag system, and as I understand it, in the country of the problem.

Can you imagine if all the car manufacturers had to give people the purchase price of their cars back, goodbye auto industry worldwide. Cant see the courts enforcing it.
What VW did was fudge their emissions figures, a complete cover up, what has happened with Takata is a design fault, albeit a dangerous one but it is being treated like any other recall. Many other recalls, suspension failures, steering failures, engines catching fire etc are also possibly life threatening.
It is the magnitude of this recall which has people up in arms.

LoneWolf said:
Problem is TAKATA went into receivership last year...

LW....

Then it comes back to the Car manufacturer to sort it, but why is the purchaser footing the 'market value' loss on his car
because of a fault he had no control over in design or choice of it being installed ?

Very few of us can afford a new car every few years, I think that we personally are up for 2x new cars with a family of 6, and on a single income.
There will be very little out there that will not cost us less than $80k to replace our cars.

That is not reasonable for us to be having to sell our house to buy 2x new cars, that pass govt regs and supposedly safe to standards.
Just to transport kids.

There will have to be some give by Govt or Manufacturers.

Maybe there will be a new manufacturer of airbags appear to make replacement parts with quality materials so the issue is no longer a problem.

I guess we will see an outcome sometime, we wont be rushing into the 'refund queue', that's for sure.

:)

No take your time, don't rush into anything Yet...

There are a few ways to get around the issue starting to surface, but to be Legal they need federal gov approval for cars affected by Design Rule 67

cars Pre Design Rule 67 should be able to remove the airbags and use Non-airbag steering wheels and remove the Passenger Airbags With-out federal gov approval...

The Fellows on the Pajero Forum are working through the Design Rules and finding these ways to keep some on the road...

There are an expected 4 Million+ Cars going to be Affected... Dating back to 1996... A class action or at least a threat of one might sway the Manufactures to re-think their Options...

LW...

Do Not take your car Anywhere near a dealer Yet...
These 'Dealers' are starting to seize the cars and are supplying a 'Hire Car' for you to get home..

They are giving you the hire car for 14 days as that's the period they hope it takes 'Inspect' and 'value' your car and to Make out the Cheque...

Now in one instance, the fellow was told by MM that the hire car came with No Insurance and a $4000 excess if an accident occurred... He wanted full coverage and MM tried to charge him $30 per day for this coverage... He stood his ground and MM paid the Extra Fee for Full Coverage... He also stated to them that The hire car won't be dropped back Till He was Ready to...As his Wife was due to have a baby in 10 days...

All these cars Affected are to be Crushed as well...

LW...

Lifted off the Pajero Forum and Its part of a document from MMAL regarding any recall. They are not allowed to release any vehicle that has an outstanding Recall. I believe in this instance though you can sign a waiver saying you have refused the offer of a buy back

Edit: official wording

If your
vehicle is confirmed by a Mitsubishi Dealer to be fitted with an affected NADI 5AT airbag it is
recommended you no longer drive this vehicle and to leave your vehicle at the Dealership. We will
arrange the safe environmentally responsible disposal of your
vehicle.

I have also found out that this is a Voluntary Recall... NOT a Compulsory Recall at the moment... so Stay away from 'Stealerships'...

LW...

is seizing the cars legal LW, it has got a recall on it for a faulty air bag ,"MM decide" that they are not going to fix it,so they steal your car and throw a cheque at you on what they think it is worth ,what are the laws on this ,when did the seizing notice become law i would like to see the seizing notice in black and white.I do not own a car with air bags so it does not effect me but it astounds me that MM think they can carry on this way,when does stealing come into it

They (MM) have been in Talks with the Federal Department of Transport Safety or whatever they call themselves for awhile now and this is what they have worked out. .. a Cheap way to,
A. Help rid early model cars off the road... Gov Win

B. Cheap way for MM to get out of the situation.. They could remove the Airbags on pre-ADR67 cars but then MM would have to pay for this. And parts are NOT available . Cheaper to just Re-call them and Crush them... MM Win

Since Takata closed up, it has put all these costs on to the Manufactures of the affected cars...

I feel that there are not too many NL's out there that are actually worth 'Market Value'... Most are at least Double that value... Some affected have put in well over $10,000 into their cars and only to receive back Market value is very unfair...

Seizing cars is very Legal if they are subject to a Recall as stated above.(post #30).. As technically they are Un-safe to drive...

This Re-call is only Voluntary, Not Compulsory Yet... So really you don't have to do anything yet BY LAW... But this will change soon, just like all the other cars affected by the faulty Airbag issue of them going off un-expectantly and killing People... Only 26 People in the World have been Killed by these bags... But it IS Compulsory for these car and Rego will be cancelled...

If you want to know the Legal side of it I suggest you read the Pajero forum's posts on this as im sure it's in there somewhere, or contact a Solicitor as I have no idea on that answer. Perhaps someone with Legal Experience can 'Chime in' and advise on Here with answers ...... Im just putting all this up as I know some PA Members are affected by this...
.. People are getting Letters from MM about this as well... ...As stated above 'Who can afford a New or even a Replacement 4x4 for around $4000' .. not me and looks like lots of others as well...

Very Unfair, but THEY can do this....

LW...

yeah nah...unless it has passed through parliament like Howard's gun buy back, a dealership on instruction from a car manufacturer could not lawfully seize your vehicle.
I'd imagine if that was the case it would also mean owning one of the affected vehicles would be a criminal offense.

Yes I like many of us have put many thousands of dollars into my Pathfinder. My place of service and repair comment on how good it is for it's age coz it's garaged every night and washed on a monthly basis. You name it it has it. Dual fuel, suspension lift 2", bull bar with 2 LED spotlights wired in by a pro. Leather trim all ok. 12000lb winch. :)
My li'l baby doesn't want to leave me either.
Jaros

We were very fortunate with Sandra's Mercedes Vito van. The old steering wheel was badly eroded from the Australian sun but when they replaced the airbag it was a complete steering wheel assembly. All nice and new now :perfect:

Bad enough if you Own One....

It Doesn't Need Parliament to do anything as with ANY RE-CALL, Its a Manufactures Re-call and Its Happening MT... Right Now and they have the law on their side... And YES rego's will be cancelled as soon as it becomes a Compulsory Re-call... NO CHOICE..
We are talking about Cars NOT Guns... Totally Different kettle of Fish...

READ (is the key here)the ACCC Web site. (NK-NL Pajero Re-call) And the Pajero Forum Link I put up.. Its ALL on there if you don't believe me... :|

'2Lateagain'(the OP) is caught up in this issue but his airbags were an 'Optional Extra' And He may be lucky with just a Steering Wheel replacement and Passenger Airbags removed... I have got Him a replacement steering Wheel IF AND WHEN it is Required... But We need to know if this is Legal to do before He dose it...
Here is the Link for all who don't believe Me...

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...l-pajero-and-wa-express-starwagon-my1997-2000
AND THIS from MM....
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/customer-assistance/airbag-recall...... but there are NO REPLACEMENTS for the Early Pajero's, So a Buy-Back is Necessary....
Need I say anymore? :rolleyes:
After ALL isn't the ACCC a Government Website?

LW...

LW, I've read the ACCC website notice and as it states and as you just stated, it is a VOLUNTARY recall not COMPULSORY.

Also owners are ADVISED to stop driving not MUST stop driving.

No where does it say that dealers or Mitsubishi have the power to seize your vehicle. That would require a law being passed giving them that power and probably making it also law that anyone owning own must surrender it to a dealership.

I agree though that no doubt law will be passed soon enough to make a vehicles fitted with one of these airbags not road worthy or be able to be reregistered, effectively putting these cars off the road.

It soon WILL be a Compulsory Recall... and Yes this is TOTALLY UNFAIR for those Affected... As stated before, Some like Jaros and a lot of Pajero Owners are going to loose out big time if they are involved... Time for a CLASS ACTION...

I Don't know if Jaros IS affected or not as He hasn't stated Such...

The Gun buy-back WAS done by the Federal Government so ALL STATES would and MUST comply. It was done that way So No state or Territory could have something Different ..

When it is a Vehicle Re-call, The onus Falls on Manufactures... But Dealers are being told what to do by MM... they say 'If your Car IS affected then by Law they are Not allowed to let you drive away in an Un-safe Car"...

Read the Pajero Forum... It has already Happened.. re. seizure of cars...
LW...

Latest posts